Why become a member? ×

Feeler: Bassix Hi-Tech R'L' Electric Upright Bass

therealting

I have a beautiful Bassix electric upright bass, custom made for me by Alan Hatswell in Kent. It is made of composite materials, is lightweight and impervious to changes in temperature and humidity, etc. Set up with a fairly low action for easy playing. Active electronics with 2-band EQ. Removable abalone side dots.

In my opinion, this is one of the best-looking electric uprights around... it ALWAYS gets a great response and I have gotten quite a few gigs purely because someone saw me playing it.

It also sounds great, as good as or better than pretty much any amplified upright I have tried. I can email an MP3 of a recording I did with it a couple years ago.

For more information, have a look at this page. Mine looks similar to that pictured, except with a "natural" faux finish.
[url="http://www.bassix.net/history_3.php"]http://www.bassix.net/history_3.php[/url]

The black sloping shoulder is removable and can be reattached sideways-on giving a very compact portable form factor. Comes with a gig-bag, and in its collapsed form fits easily into almost any car. In smaller cars you may have to have the neck between the front seats, but it's still a LOT more portable than an acoustic upright.

Looking for £800 or trades / part ex for a lightweight electric bass rig or similar.

Photos to follow.

Did you try out any other EUB's before buying this one? How does the sound compare to an NS? As an electric bassist and fretless player I am looking to get an EUB but don't really know where to start. I would welcome anyone else's comments also.

[quote name='fabbabass' post='30675' date='Jul 12 2007, 12:43 PM']Did you try out any other EUB's before buying this one? How does the sound compare to an NS? As an electric bassist and fretless player I am looking to get an EUB but don't really know where to start. I would welcome anyone else's comments also.[/quote]

NS Design makes some nice instruments, to my ear they sound closer to a big fretless bass guitar than the Bassix instruments... this is not to say that they don't sound good, just different. The necks are different too, I think one of the NS Design ranges has a thinner neck with a concave back surface while this EUB has a thick, chunky neck closer to that of a real URB.

The other thing I like about this one is that it has a spike and a curvy frame which feels more natural to sway along to, as opposed to the NS Design basses which are mounted on a cymbal stand. Again, not better or worse, just different.

• 3 weeks later...