Why become a member? ×

A power question for everyone that listened in physics

bassist_lewis

I'm putting a pedalboard together with the following pedals: agent 00Funk, 3 Leaf Octabvre and Creation audio grizzly bass. I want to power them with the pedaltrain Volto as its the most compact and convenient way. My question is if the volto puts out 2000mA and each pedal draws 25-250mA (so total draw of 700-800mA) am I going to blow up the pedals with all the extra milliamps kicking about unused? Or will the volto only give out what each pedal asks for - as it were.
Cheers

No you definitely won't blow up your pedals. The Volto will happily supply any current [i]up to[/i] 2000mA. The lower the current you actually draw, the longer the Volto battery will last.

Edited by JapanAxe

JapanAxe beat me to it. The current rating is the maximum current that the Volto can supply, your pedals will only draw the current that they need, so as long as the total draw is less than 2A (2000mA), you're fine. You may however notice that your pedals get noisier the closer you get to the limit.

It's worth noting that voltage doesn't operate this way though, providing more voltage than something is rated for will probably blow it up. Not everything may actually explode, but I find assuming it will to be the best defense against doing it.

Edited by bobbass4k

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1430735291' post='2764068']
It;s worth noting that voltage doesn't operate this way though, providing more voltage than something is rated for will blow it up.
[/quote]

A point well worth making. There are some pedals that can operate, and may give different/better results, at higher voltages than specified (e.g. many analog delays, chorus and flanger pedals), but you need to know the specs of all the chips inside before risking this!