Why become a member? ×

Anyone played at The O2 Academy, Islington?

The Admiral

A friend's band has been offered a support slot here next month, and, whilst they are very excited about it, they are also quite reasonably looking to hear of any experiences from those who have played there. No idea what the deal is, he's not involved in organising, but the normal wary caveats about 'exposure' and playing for free, with not even expenses, spring to mind. How is it for practical stuff like parking, load in, house PA and crew etc?

Thanks

A

I have played a couple of times. Make sure they fill in and give a decent stage spec for what they need and a rider to try and get some decent drinks etc for free.
Parking wise they need to contact the venue to have a space booked, but it's very likely the spaces will be taken up already at this point, otherwise they'll be paying for on the street parking nearby, or going into the car park underneath the shopping centre The academy is located in!
Load in is quite handy as there is a service lift straight on to stage / main area.
The crew are very helpful and friendly, but don't expect them to lug your gear for you.
The merch area is a nightmare so they might want to get there early to bag a spot otherwise they'll be ducktaping tshirts to the toilet doors!
I've had great fun at that place, so remind them to enjoy it!

It seems this is typical 'pay to play' night, and not a support slot at all, which is shame, as they were very excited. I appear to have rained on their parade somewhat by pointing out the economics of the deal : guarantee 20 tickets to the promoter and then a split for any over 20 (significantly in the promoters favour it seems). 4 bands playing, whom I'll bet are all from outside London and all thinking its a big break.

Then they'll probably be in the small room, and tiny stage, this is almost certainly not worth the hassle speaking from experience, esp if they are outside of London. Sounds like the typical promoter doing no real work and just taking money of unsuspecting bands. (Make sure they don't get in a situation where they have to supplement a shortfall on ticket sales out of their own pocket.

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1431273809' post='2769495']
Then they'll probably be in the small room, and tiny stage, this is almost certainly not worth the hassle speaking from experience, esp if they are outside of London. Sounds like the typical promoter doing no real work and just taking money of unsuspecting bands. (Make sure they don't get in a situation where they have to supplement a shortfall on ticket sales out of their own pocket.
[/quote]

My old band played the small room a couple of times. Very much pay to play, in hindsight, although we roped in plenty of mates so we got away with it.
It was for a company called Wild Plum, I think. Best avoid

Did it years ago, back when it was the 'new' Marquee. Good venue, big stage, nice sound system with good monitors, but the bar is so-so and it attracts lots of pay-to-play promoters.