Why become a member? ×

Who'd've thunk it? (Ashdown Superfly content)

bassicinstinct

I did an open air show on Saturday with my usual [b]Superfly[/b] rig (Head+2x8+1x15).

Great onstage and FOH sound (I DI to the desk via a [b]SABDDI[/b]).

It wasn't until I came to strip down my rig that I realised that I had only actually connected the 2x8 cab and hence was only utilising 250 of the available 500 watts. - what a PILLOCK!!

On the other hand, I did play the entire 2 hours+ show through a cab about the size of the average boombox :) :huh: :huh:

Pretty impressive eh? :huh: :unsure:

I got a cob on with my band once as I was expected to set my gear up and then set up the whole PA inc monitors... to cut a long story short. This particular gig I was late arriving and nothing was unpacked etc so I rushed about setting up PA and thought 'scr*w this' and I didn't plug in the monitors I just left cables trailing to them and I moved the FOH speaker stands back a bit so the singer was getting a bit from them. Needless to say nobody commented on the monitor sound and just because I can be like that sometimes :huh: I proceeded to do the same at the next bunch of gigs; guess what? Not once did anyone comment on monitors! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='266136' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:43 AM']I got a cob on with my band once as I was expected to set my gear up and then set up the whole PA inc monitors... to cut a long story short. This particular gig I was late arriving and nothing was unpacked etc so I rushed about setting up PA and thought 'scr*w this' and I didn't plug in the monitors I just left cables trailing to them and I moved the FOH speaker stands back a bit so the singer was getting a bit from them. Needless to say nobody commented on the monitor sound and just because I can be like that sometimes :huh: I proceeded to do the same at the next bunch of gigs; guess what? Not once did anyone comment on monitors! :)[/quote]

You must be a [b]VERY[/b] scary man to induce such terror in your bandmates. :huh: :huh:

More power to you. :unsure:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='266141' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:47 AM']You must be a [b]VERY[/b] scary man to induce such terror in your bandmates. :) :huh:

More power to you. :huh:[/quote]

Much embarrassment on bandmates faces when I confided that I'd been doing this, especially as the singer had been giving me instructions on 'less mid and a bit more top (etc.)' and I'd been tweaking the desk (whilst trying not to burst out in tears) and he's responding 'Yep that's perfect' :huh:

The upside was that the monitors got ditched :unsure:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='266136' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:43 AM']I was expected to set my gear up and then set up the whole PA inc monitors...[/quote]
Why is bass players always seem to be the ones that set the PA up first and all our stuff last? I do own the PA but it doesn't mean I want to set it up solo thanks!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='266148' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:52 AM']Much embarrassment on bandmates faces when I confided that I'd been doing this, especially as the singer had been giving me instructions on 'less mid and a bit more top (etc.)' and I'd been tweaking the desk (whilst trying not to burst out in tears) and he's responding 'Yep that's perfect' :)

The upside was that the monitors got ditched :lol:[/quote]

Brilliant!!

You [b]are[/b] the Messiah!! :huh: :huh: :huh: :unsure:

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='266160' date='Aug 20 2008, 11:06 AM']Why is bass players always seem to be the ones that set the PA up first and all our stuff last? I do own the PA but it doesn't mean I want to set it up solo thanks![/quote]

I'm deeply ashamed to admit that I have, for many years, adopted a stance of total ignorance on all PA/Monitor related matters for that very reason.

Works too :) :huh:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='266175' date='Aug 20 2008, 11:22 AM']I'm deeply ashamed to admit that I have, for many years, adopted a stance of total ignorance on all PA/Monitor related matters for that very reason.

Works too :huh: :huh:[/quote]

me too, i might help put the PA speakers up but generally i stay well away from all the knob twiddling, and i like watching the guitarist do it while getting more wound up, makes me chuckle. :)

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='266184' date='Aug 20 2008, 11:49 AM']me too, i might help put the PA speakers up but generally i stay well away from all the knob twiddling, and i like watching the guitarist do it while getting more wound up, makes me chuckle. :huh:[/quote]

Oh yes!

Do you think this makes us bad people? :) :huh: :huh: :unsure: