Why become a member? ×

I've got a screw loose

Count Bassy

I have a small problem with with my Ibanez GWB35 that I bought second hand a few months ago.

Specifically one of the saddle height adjusting grub screws on the G string unscrews itself over a couple of weeks playing, so the action keeps lowering itself. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did thay solve it?

I've thought of using one of the proprietry thread locking fluids (loctite etc), but there's such a range I don't know which to go for. Its still got to be adjustable with the allen key when I want to it to move, but not to move on its own.

I've also thought of deliberately damaging the thread a bit to make it stiffer, but I don't want the damage to transfer to the saddle itself.

Any ideas anyone?

Hummmmn not thought of PTFE --- Might work.... :)

Certainly worth a try if you have some lying around.

If not Loctite 577 is the one you want. Clean the threads (internal and external with tissue or coton bud) then use a SMALL drop of 577 before assembly to "nearly" the right place. Fine tweak when the loctite has dried.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='265851' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:10 PM']Hummmmn not thought of PTFE --- Might work.... :)

Certainly worth a try if you have some lying around.[/quote]

Worked a treat on my strap button that otherwise worked loose at [i]every [/i]gig. OK, that was metal into wood whereas the saddle will be metal into metal but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't provide enough resistance either through friction or extra diameter. Easiest fix in the world :huh: