Why become a member? ×

MIDI question: GR-55 into Moog Minitaur + sequencer?

RaNoFuNkY

Hi All,

Looking for some help. I currently have a bass set up with the roland GK3B and GR-55 floor unit. Tracking is great and sounds are cool. So far no problem. However, I am looking to go deeper into synth bass and I have 2 questions:

1) Can I use the MIDI output from the GR-55 to send my MIDI guitar signal into a Moog Minitaur, and then plug the output of this into my amp.

2) If this works, how could I incorporate a sequencer (like the Arturia Beatstep) so that I can sequence/step/arppegiate this sound? Where in the chain of GK3B bass ----> GR-55 ---> Moog Minitaur----> Amp would the Beatstep go?

Please note that I am not looking to play Keys - I just want to go further with the bass.

Oh thanks

Edited by RaNoFuNkY

Yes you can control your Minitaur from the GR-55 simply connect the MIDI out of the GR-55 to the MIDI in to the MIDI in of the Minitaur. However the conversion to MIDI may add extra latency to the sounds so you might find yourself having to play slightly ahead of the beat in order for the Minitaur sounds to be in time.

Which sounds do you want to control from the Arturia? Those of the GR-55 or those of the Minitaur? If it's the GR-55 then simply connect the Arturia to the MIDI in of the GR-55. If it's the Minitaur then what you do will depend on what the GR-55 does with the MIDI in data. If the MIDI out also works as a MIDI thru, then simply connect the Minitaur and it should work provided that you have all your MIDI channels set up correctly. This method will also let you control the GR-55 sounds.

If the MIDI out doesn't also work as a MIDI thru, then you'll need to get a MIDI merge box that will allow you to take two MIDI outputs and send them to a single MIDI in.

That is fantastically helpful - thanks. I was looking to sequence the Minitaur using the Arturia, so: GR-55 into Minitaur into Arturia.

I was also hoping that latency issues would be minimal as the tracking of the GR-55 (which I only use with MIDI, not bass/MIDI blend is very, very good). I suppose the proof will be in the pudding. I'm not sure if the GR-55 MIDI out is also a MIDI thru, but a MIDI merge box is an easy fail-safe.