Why become a member? ×

Genres - Albums that defined them (?)

fusionbassist1

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='265591' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:41 PM']ANy particular meters album? I own a Parliament best of already but I might aswell get a propper album :)....I have something against best of's and compilations.[/quote]

Although I haven't heard it their live album is meant to be very good - I think it was for the Wings launch party on the Queen Mary IIRC! Otherwise Funkify Your Life, The Best Of The Meters gives you a greasy wodge of N'Awlins fonk.

Alex

List now looks like this....kind of:

Blues - Real Folk Blues (Muddy Waters), Couldn't Stand the Weather (S.R.V.), (Jimmy Reed)
Reggae - Exodus (Bob Marley and the Wailers), Babylon by Bus (Bob Marley and the Wailers)
Latin -
Country - (Patsy Cline), Further Beyond nashville (Compilation)
Folk - Tea for the Tillerman (Cat Stevens),
Pop - Gold (Abba), Sergeant Pepper (Beatles), One step beyond? (Madness),
Modal Jazz(?) - A love supreme (Coltrane), Kind of Blue (Davis), Tutu (Davis)
Hip-hop - Black Sunday (Cypress Hill)
Drum n bass - New Forms (Reprazent & Roni Size)
Metal - Master of Puppets (Metallica), Reign in Blood (Slayer), Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath), Paranoid (Black Sabbath), Ride the Lightning (Metallica), The Real Thing (Faith No More)

Rock - Highway to Hell (AC/DC), Appetite for Destruction (Guns 'n' Roses), Led Zeppelin II (Led Zeppelin), Exile on Main St (Rolling Stones), Sugar (Copper Blue), American Idiot (Green Day)

Funk - Uptown Rulers (The Meters), Mothership Connection (Parliament),
R n B - Songs in the Key of Life (Stevie Wonder), Hitsville USA (Motown Compilation)

Thanx guys. Please keep the debate rolling to see if the list narrows down or expands....I'm guessing It'll be the latter. This is really helpful but I can already see it's going to be expensive.....

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='265535' date='Aug 19 2008, 02:27 PM']EDIT : on the Punk issue. I started out on punk and would love to hear what albums the punks suggest. My cd collection currently rocks the clash - the clash + london calling and the stiff little fingers - inflammable material to name my past favourites. I also have an LP of nevermind the bollocks and a live stiffs album. There's no time limit on how long we want this genres project but we did try our best to prioritise the genres we know least. sorry if i offended any mohawk clad BC'ers :)[/quote]

Well in that case, you're forgiven! :huh:

Peronally, as much as I love them, I wouldn't include The Clash, because so many of their styles can be found in other types of music, and I'd have the punk section as good old fashioned plectrum playing downstrokes-only machinegun snare punk. That said, two of my album choices are much more melodic:

Hot Water Music - Caution
Alkaline Trio - Goddamnit
The Bouncing Souls/Anti-Flag - Split (2 bands for the price of one, with an awesome Buzzcocks cover!)