Why become a member? ×

Pickups (I think) question - Ibanez SR500

While I love the feel and playability of the Ibanez SR500 I bought in November, there are a few things I’m not enthralled by.
1) Mentioned on another thread, the wood finish coming away to leave an ugly pale blotch.
2) One of the tone buttons recently fell off. It’s back in place, but is one of 2 or 3 which feel poorly housed. I could maybe understand it if these were used a lot, but the only time they ever get fiddled with is when I double check they’re all in their centre positions.
3) This is the main one. The E string is nice and powerful and punchy, but I just came back from a band audition where the A (and, to a lesser extent, D and G) was almost inaudible. This is with all pots central. I’m using a Line6 300W combo but I get the same result through a practice amp at home, through phones.

Are the Ibanez pickups on this model not particularly good, or is there possibly a fault? And, in the event that it’s advisable to replace them altogether, any recommendations to give a solid, punchy tone?

BTW I currently use light (35-90) strings. I will probably go heavier for the band I'm hoping to join - would they make much difference?

TIA for any help!

Edited by anaxcrosswords

Have you adjusted the string to pickup distance (raising one side, lowering the other through adjustment of the pickup screws) to see if this affects the balance across the strings? You usually need the G nearer the pickup than the E in order to have even volumes.

Edited by HowieBass

T'other way around - using the adjustment screws, raise that 'treble' side of the pickups to make them nearer the strings. As opposed to moving the strings nearer the pickups.

A very small pedantic thing - they would be knobs not buttons. Knobs get turned, buttons get pressed. :) I can see a double entendre there somewhere :)

Edited by Paul S

Raise the pickups on the treble side as mentioned. The pickups are bartolinis so they are decent. Different strings would no doubt help but it certainly sounds like just a case of pickup adjustment, which is a simple case of turning the screw near the G string on both pickups, leave the one near the E string alone if it sounds ok..
Tightening the screw will lower it, loosening it will raise it and hopefully cure the weak sounding treble side. Experiment till you get a balanced sound you like, there is no right or wrong but after adjustment fret at the last fret and make sure the string wont hit the pickup etc.

Edited by Twincam

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update – it’s now fixed. The battery was getting on a bit, although it surprised me that a depleted one wouldn’t necessarily affect all strings. I’ve gone for a slightly heavier gauge (40s) and the tech said the A string was slightly low, not enough to cause audible fret rattle but enough to ‘waste’ some of what should have reached the pickups.