Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH1200 sm from 1995

billrasic

I've had a look at this 'ere amp in the past.. it sure is a beast. What I can remember is that the two poweramp modules are wired in parallel mono operation and, as suggested are rated at 600W each at a given impedance.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='270814' date='Aug 27 2008, 10:25 AM']I've had a similar problem with my AH350SMX. It's definitely the SMX 12 band pre-amp and clearly has a 350W power stage, but I can't find any information specific to it. There's the manual covering the AH300SMX and AH400SMX, but nothing on the 350. Weird.[/quote]

Join the flipping club! :huh: I've had the same amp for the last 12 years, and in all that time, I haven't been able to find ANY information on it either. :) They don't exist, really. :huh:

[quote name='dood' post='273949' date='Aug 31 2008, 06:46 PM']I've had a look at this 'ere amp in the past.. it sure is a beast. What I can remember is that the two poweramp modules are wired in parallel mono operation and, as suggested are rated at 600W each at a given impedance.[/quote]

given impedance? sorry im not up on me tech speak. lol. :) and i did manage to get it to open! :huh: yay!!

[quote]I don't see these amps a lot, so it might be a very small series?[/quote]

It was a small series due to the Gibson takeover and subsequent liquidation of the company. I had a chat with Andy Ewen, and ex-trace employee who was selling off old stock on ebay, here's what he had to say about them:

[quote]Don’t buy an older AH1000! Not many were made and they were very unreliable; the output stages blew up regularly. The new one is excellent and doesn’t have much to do with Peavey; designed by my old colleague Paul Stevens from Trace who incidentally, was responsible for the second generation V4s & V8s. I did the first generation V4 & V6 but Paul’s V8 was probably one of the best bass amps ever made. Very few came out of the factory though as it was at the time Gibson were messing everything up.[/quote]

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='274120' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:15 PM']Join the flipping club! :huh: I've had the same amp for the last 12 years, and in all that time, I haven't been able to find ANY information on it either. :) They don't exist, really. :huh:[/quote]

You have the AH350SMX? Wow! I don't feel so alone in the world anymore... :huh:

Seriously, I love the amp, but in terms of paperwork, it does appear to have been erased from history. Though I've seen one or two on ebay in the past.

[quote name='Waldo' post='275685' date='Sep 2 2008, 06:27 PM']It was a small series due to the Gibson takeover and subsequent liquidation of the company. I had a chat with Andy Ewen, and ex-trace employee who was selling off old stock on ebay, here's what he had to say about them:[/quote]

well mines an AH1200 not the 1000. its been gigged regularly for about 13 years, and has never given me any grief what so ever.
:)

[quote name='geilerbass' post='275785' date='Sep 2 2008, 09:10 PM']You have the AH350SMX? Wow! I don't feel so alone in the world anymore... :)

Seriously, I love the amp, but in terms of paperwork, it does appear to have been erased from history. Though I've seen one or two on ebay in the past.[/quote]

I love my ah1200 too! trace was an awsome british amp.
i managed to get the manual too download and mine isnt mentioned! the biggest 1 on there is the AH600.

[quote name='Waldo' post='275839' date='Sep 2 2008, 10:07 PM'][url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/inst/12BAND.PDF"]http://www.britishaudioservice.com/inst/12BAND.PDF[/url]

Manual if no-one has found it yet.[/quote]

It's got the 12-band pre-amp, but doesn't mention the specific AH1200 model. That's the same problem I've had - I can find a manual for the AH...SMX range, but it doesn't mention my specific model (350).

[quote name='geilerbass' post='276004' date='Sep 3 2008, 08:27 AM']It's got the 12-band pre-amp, but doesn't mention the specific AH1200 model. That's the same problem I've had - I can find a manual for the AH...SMX range, but it doesn't mention my specific model (350).[/quote]

Oh yeah sorry, I'm getting confused between the AH1000-12 and AH1200

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Waldo' post='275685' date='Sep 2 2008, 06:27 PM']It was a small series due to the Gibson takeover and subsequent liquidation of the company. I had a chat with Andy Ewen, and ex-trace employee who was selling off old stock on ebay, here's what he had to say about them:[/quote]

Andy designed the V type preamp................... that makes hime some type of god or something ha ha!!