Why become a member? ×

Recommend a Microphone for Bass?

D.I. Joe

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1427471862' post='2730849']

It depends on how you approach your bass amplification. For all the bassists that like the colouration their cab brings to their sound, there's just as many who want a cab that makes their TONE (which is coming from their hands, bass and amp) loud but not changed in any way. If you're of that mindset then you're better off DI'ing.

DI'ing doesn't mean the soundman is in control of your tone. Even if he takes a DI before your amp your hands are still in control, as is your bass. If you're DI'ing out of the send on your amp then you have even more control.

Trust your hands to be in charge - they're what make us all sound different!
[/quote]

Whilst your hands have a lot to do with tone three is a huge issue with this approac, you simply cannot hear what's happening FOH from on stage, so how do you go about knowing how to change your tone?

Plus it doesn't make a bit of difference really, you ply closed r to the neck if he doesn't like it he'll suck the miss straight out, high pass filter at 600hz and compress you to death then drop your fader back when the kick drum Mic feeds back....

Never ever think you have more control of your sound than the guy on FOH, you are in no position to turn it into a battl, youll just lose 😢

Sorry my phone refuses to spell anything correctly at the moment!

Edited by 51m0n

If you really want to do this, which these days if you have a good transformer based DI on your amp it really isnt that necessary unless you have an old school amp that has a nice cab. I assume you do, then it is best need to use a side address mic with a large diaphragm like a KSM32 or PGA 27 as unlike guitar amps you need the mic away from the speaker a bit. You will have to control your dynamics aswell as most speakers sound sh*t when pushed close up......

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1427471862' post='2730849']
It depends on how you approach your bass amplification. For all the bassists that like the colouration their cab brings to their sound, there's just as many who want a cab that makes their TONE (which is coming from their hands, bass and amp) loud but not changed in any way. If you're of that mindset then you're better off DI'ing.

DI'ing doesn't mean the soundman is in control of your tone. Even if he takes a DI before your amp your hands are still in control, as is your bass. If you're DI'ing out of the send on your amp then you have even more control.

Trust your hands to be in charge - they're what make us all sound different!
[/quote]

The key things for me really are the combination of my amp's EQ and the top-end roll-off from the Compact. I wholeheartedly agree with what you say about the hands taking charge and mine do :) I suppose that, rather than spending money, I could make sure that a DI is taken post-EQ and ask politely for the treble to be cut at the mixing desk... :rolleyes:

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1427571081' post='2731903']
Whilst your hands have a lot to do with tone three is a huge issue with this approac, you simply cannot hear what's happening FOH from on stage, so how do you go about knowing how to change your tone?

Plus it doesn't make a bit of difference really, you ply closed r to the neck if he doesn't like it he'll suck the miss straight out, high pass filter at 600hz and compress you to death then drop your fader back when the kick drum Mic feeds back....

Never ever think you have more control of your sound than the guy on FOH, you are in no position to turn it into a battl, youll just lose
[/quote]

Wise words also. I know that, ultimately, it is the sound man who is in control out at the front. I guess, ultimately, that I just want to give myself more of a sporting chance at getting the bass sound that I choose to employ in the mix at the front.