Why become a member? ×

Devi-ever fuzz pedal

bobbass4k

Firstly, apolgoies for two posts in a row, but this seemed to make more sense as a new thread, secondly apologies for the second very long winded post in a row, i like to rant.

Basically I'm in the market for a mid-price fuzz/overdrive that is good for both bass and guitar (I occasionaly get roped into playing six strings at gigs and it would be nice to be able to use a pdeal i'm familiar with) having previously owned one, my instinctual reaction was a russian muff, i found a whizzer-modded one with 9v-jack and true bypass (everything a russian muff owner dreams of), but was informed by your own bassmankev that the mods suck most of the low end out (this has now been confirmed by the guy who did the mods). My next thought was a zvex wooly mammoth, but i almost had a cornoary when i looked into prices, I looked around here and found a few reccomendations of a boutique company i've never heard of, devi ever, finding a few demo vids on youtube i'm blown away by the things these pedals can do, seem to work great on bass and guitar, not to mention the low low prices. My only problem is, that all they seem to make are fuzz pedals, dozens and dozens of them, so i'm a little spoilt for choice, judging on what i've seen, heard and felt (low end response is fantastic) i'm leaning towards a hyperion, These are the one's in my price range (at least from this site): [url="http://www.analoguehaven.com/devieverusa/95dollarpedals/"]http://www.analoguehaven.com/devieverusa/95dollarpedals/[/url] Anyone had any solid experience with any of these>

Cheers

Edited by bobbass4k

I've owned a Disaster Fuzz, a Soda Meiser (not sure if Devi still makes these), an Aenima, a Bass Fuzz, a Karaoke Party, a Destructo Noctavia and a Dark Boost.

Best low-end and most usable are the Soda Meiser and the Bass Fuzz. I let the Aenima go because I couldn't stop it screaming. The Karaoke Party retains low-end really well, and is like a thick overdrive. So I kept it. Disaster Fuzz trades its low-end for mad glitchiness - only really usable as a special effect for bass. Dark Boost is good at putting the low-end back into fuzzes, but is basically a clean boost.

The performance of all of these will depend on your bass - I haven't plugged an active into any of them, for example.

im not making a new thread, so im gunna semi hijakk this one :) any recommendations for a synthy type fuzz that likes active basses? we're talking 'deeper underground' by jamiroquai or 'easily' by muse kinda tone

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='264305' date='Aug 18 2008, 02:21 AM']but was informed by your own bassmankev that the mods suck most of the low end out (this has now been confirmed by the guy who did the mods).

Cheers[/quote]
if it still sounds good to you and sits well in your band mix don't worry about it! it's all about what sounds good to you not what someone else tells you sounds good, that is unless you have really bad taste.

after a lot of looking, i've pretty much narrowed it down to eitheir a hyperion or a cherry pop. The hyperion's got a good muff sound, nice fuzz, works great on bass and guitar and seems to treat chords well, but it's a little tame for what i'm looking for, i like having the option for a kinda squealy harmonic out of control feedback high end on guitar and bass. If you don't know what i mean, i had an odb-3 a while ago, and with a certain bass, if i set the high band eq at anything beyond 3 o'clock and played a harmonic, i got an endless loop of a kinda low freq sine wave harmonic with squealy overtones that was the best wall of noise i've ever heard. And the cherry pop seems to offer that, tame chord firendly options for guitar, more intense fuzz for bass and guitar, and raspy high end weirdness. So has any has any direct experience with both the cherry pop and the hyperion? The cherry pop involves extending my budget so i want to be pretty sure.

Also kev, i came across this on my exploits: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lALOz6EZMc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lALOz6EZMc[/url] no indication how it responds to bass though

Edited by bobbass4k

[quote name='umph' post='264489' date='Aug 18 2008, 12:50 PM']if it still sounds good to you and sits well in your band mix don't worry about it! it's all about what sounds good to you not what someone else tells you sounds good, that is unless you have really bad taste.[/quote]

If i'd have discovered devi ever before i found that modded muff, i'd have defintely gone for a devi, i've never heard the modded muff, and i've had a russian muff before, so i want to try something new. Low end response is very important though, one of my life's ambitions is to play the hysteria riff with as much pure mind bending fuzz force as the first time i heard it, and a devi certainly seems to be a step in that direction

[quote name='umph' post='264489' date='Aug 18 2008, 12:50 PM']if it still sounds good to you and sits well in your band mix don't worry about it! it's all about what sounds good to you not what someone else tells you sounds good, that is unless you have really bad taste.[/quote]

i wasnt telling him whether it sounded good or not, thats for an individual to decide, however its FACT that it loses alot of bottom end, and its pretty much fact that it would be lost in a mix