Why become a member? ×

Salty Dogg Nylon DB Strings

whynot

So I've just bought a Bassix all composite EUB which I've been looking to do for a while now.
Soundwise it's appears to do the opposite of my old NS CRM4, as in it sounds very very close to an acoustic upright which is what I've been looking for without spending mega bucks.
Partly the reason for this seems to be the strings fitted which are Salty Dogg Nylons. Immediately liked the feel, tension and tone.
Having only used steel core db strings in the past on the NS, does anyone know of a downside to using nylons, specifically this make ? Do they break easily etc.
At no more than £25.00 a set you can't go wrong. I'm not a heavy player and won't be slapping or pulling as in the rockabilly world where this type of string are often used.

If you like them, they're great for the money.
poor man's gut strings. They behave quite like gut, once they are stretched in they hold their tuning a little better than gut, especially at a hot humid gig and they don't need the same care as guts to make them last.
I just find the E and A a little flubby, but if they amplify well, a great set of strings for the dosh.
They don't snap easily, as long a your nut and bridge are neat with no sharp edges etc. I used similar Rad Dragon strings in the 90's and they lasted for years.

[quote name='symcbass' post='264111' date='Aug 17 2008, 07:31 PM']If you like them, they're great for the money.
poor man's gut strings. They behave quite like gut, once they are stretched in they hold their tuning a little better than gut, especially at a hot humid gig and they don't need the same care as guts to make them last.
I just find the E and A a little flubby, but if they amplify well, a great set of strings for the dosh.
They don't snap easily, as long a your nut and bridge are neat with no sharp edges etc. I used similar Rad Dragon strings in the 90's and they lasted for years.[/quote]
Can I ask if you think the E and A are better than on Weedwackers (if you have tried them)? I have put a set of Weedwackers on my DB and after a month or two of settling in they are still too quiet and undefined for my liking. Thx

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Clarky' post='264738' date='Aug 18 2008, 05:12 PM']Can I ask if you think the E and A are better than on Weedwackers (if you have tried them)? I have put a set of Weedwackers on my DB and after a month or two of settling in they are still too quiet and undefined for my liking. Thx[/quote]

I love the sound of plain gut E and A, not so much the weedwacker E and A. Just more fundamental with the guts, but for me, I find they just don't have enough sustain, and I can't dig into them. They are OK amplified, but not for me when played acoustic.
I use Innovation Rockabilly or Silver Slap E and A strings with plain gut G and D strings(weedwackers are very similar) to get a balance I like.

[quote name='symcbass' post='275301' date='Sep 2 2008, 11:26 AM']I love the sound of plain gut E and A, not so much the weedwacker E and A. Just more fundamental with the guts, but for me, I find they just don't have enough sustain, and I can't dig into them. They are OK amplified, but not for me when played acoustic.
I use Innovation Rockabilly or Silver Slap E and A strings with plain gut G and D strings(weedwackers are very similar) to get a balance I like.[/quote]
Thanks symcbass! I am going to sort of emulate your set-up - I have ordered Innovation Rockabilly E and A strings and will see how they match with my Weedwacker D and G. Just don't get on with the Weedwacker E and A.