Why become a member? ×

Way Huge Havalina Fuzz (WHE403)

skej21

[b][font=arial, sans-serif][u]Product overview/description[/u][/font][/b]

[font=arial, sans-serif]The Havalina Fuzz (which translates in English as 'Javelin') introduces yet another innuendo to the array already emblazoned across the pedals in the Way Huge catalogue. First released only in the[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] US market at NAMM 2014, the Way Huge Havalina Fuzz was later released into the UK market and promised a vintage-inspired germanium fuzz to sit alongside the beloved Way Huge Swollen Pickle. [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]As the Swollen Pickle has proven to be so popular amongst the bass community, I've decided to demonstrate and review its germanium counterpart to show its capabilities! Here is the official blurb direct from Way Huge about the pedal;[/font]

[size=4][font=arial, sans-serif][i]"The Havalina Germanium Fuzz from Way Huge Electronics is a germanium-powered fuzz box inspired by a vintage 3-transistor design that became the psychedelic shot-heard-round-the-world for guitar players, ushering in the new sound of rock. Designed around hand-selected Russian germanium transistors and a passive tone circuit, this peccary of a pedal can go from a soft, mellow crunch for meaty chords to a maelstrom of sonic fur that will make every note feel like a summer of love. Prepare to have your mind bent when you ride the Havalina!"[/i][/font] [/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif]My demo video of the pedal features both a Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass and a Fender Nate Mendel Signature Precision Bass to give a better idea of how the pedal sounds with different pickup and tone control combinations.[/font]

http://youtu.be/FzyE3dqj0AM

[u][b][font=arial, sans-serif]Sound[/font][/b][/u]

[size=4]The analogue, vintage-inspired design really shines through in the sound of this pedal. Ranging from dark and muddy to glassy and aggressive, the Russian germanium transistors allow for a truly characterful fuzz tone. There are only three controls to the pedal; 'Tone', 'Volume' and 'Fuzz', which means that the control of the final signal is not as comprehensive as the Swollen Pickle (as the Havalina Fuzz does not feature any internal modifications). However, I did find that altering the 'Tone' and 'Fuzz' controls immediately offer distinct changes in character and this is manipulated further when changing pickups/tone controls on the bass itself. Whilst using exactly the same setting on the pedal, the difference in sound and character between a jazz bass using just the bridge pickup and a precision bass with no tone is very evident and both offer a quality fuzz sound.[/size]

[size=4][i][b][font=arial, sans-serif]8/10[/font][/b][/i][/size]

[size=4][u][font=arial, sans-serif][b]Durability/Construction[/b][/font][/u]

Bombproof! It's a simple as that. A tough metal casing with large, flat-profiled control knobs, well-recessed jack sockets and a sturdy stomp button to engage the pedal, its difficult to see how this pedal may get damaged in normal gigging conditions. The stage-ready LED is bright and clear to view in any light but may need covering up if you find this sort of thing offensive. Additionally, the 9v input is easily accessible and sensibly placed between the jacks at the top of the pedal (unlike some companies who insist on placing at the side, next to the jack inputs which then make it a nightmare if you're using right-angled jacks!) and if you prefer the idea of using batteries, the battery compartment is placed helpfully on the bottom of the pedal. The biggest advantage of this appears to be that you can change the battery without having to remove the pedal from your pedalboard. A well-designed and robust pedal with the end-user/use clearly at the heart of its conception.

[b][i][font=arial, sans-serif]9.5/10[/font][/i][/b][/size]

[size=4][u][b][font=arial, sans-serif]Overall[/font][/b][/u]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I am really quite impressed with this pedal. A more immediate offering of tonal shaping (and no need to have the back off like a Swollen Pickle!), great quality fuzz sounds, excellent 'boutique' aesthetics and bomb-proof makes this a great addition to any pedalboard. Additionally (at only £99) it comes in under the price of nearly ALL of the alternatives (MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe, Way Huge Swollen Pickle etc) and offers a similar level of control and tones.[/font]

[i][b][font=arial, sans-serif]9/10[/font][/b][/i][/size]

Edited by skej21