Why become a member? ×

fretbinding

Funky Dunky

I have a Squier VM Precision PJ and have swapped the dot inlays for blocks. It's looking proper bo' but it needs fretbinding to really complete the retro look I'm after. I know you can buy the binding, but how hard is it to apply? I imagine it's pretty tricky!

Other than that, does anybody know of a place (in Scotland, preferably Glasgow) that does it, and how much it would set me back?

Just like inlays, binding tends to go on while the neck is being made.

Stickers probably won't work as well as with the block inlays - the edge of the fretboard get's too much wear...

How would a painted binding suit? a black or white strip, carefully applied over the necks finish, then sealed behind a couple of layers of clear coat could . . . work, be cheap, and not require a load of retouching, refretting, routing or other expensive processes - If you do it yourself you may damage the neck, and if you get someone do it, it could be a lot of hours work (x2 times the cost of a refret maybe?)

If it were me I'd look at either stickers, paint, or a new neck! all the best with it anyway! ;)

Thanks for your reply.

I'm happy with the inlay stickers - on closer inspection you can see they're not inbuilt but they look quite good nonetheless. As for the binding, yeah, I'd have no problem with the painted number. Simply a case of identifying the right colour, type of paint and clear coat for the job. Stuff buying a new neck, that'd be half the price of the freakin' bass!