Why become a member? ×

Danny Thompson growls!

Bob G

[quote name='petebassist' timestamp='1485524449' post='3224624']
johnnigel
Hi, I'd be very interested to hear how you get on over at Thwaites or Caswells.
[/quote]

Tim Toft in Stone? I like them better than Turners. Their bass mender is very good indeed and all their instruments are well restored and set up in a nice room where you can try a few. Range from old ones to brand new "European Finished" ones. Not a HUGE stock like Thwaites have these days but a nice range.

• 5 years later...

Hi lovers of the Noble DB. 

I can concur that Danny uses the Ravenlabs pmb2 as a di and preamp. He also uses (or did use) a mini mike in his 'F' hole, in tandem with a pickup.
Having spent time in his company a few years back, I used that set-up myself for a while, but found it did not work for me (it probably works well at big gigs - like those that Danny plays. Danny's small gigs are bigger than my big gigs!). I now don't use front-of-house at all, as the vocal mikes pick up a great deal of my sound, and my first responsibility is to myself and the other group members (who definitely must  be able to hear me!). So I use a Realist pickup, (unconventionally under the treble foot of the bridge), and I use a Gallien Kruger amp (standard in jazz circles). This combination calms my pre-gig nerves reassuringly!

Speak to Bill at Thwaites about DBs. They are the best in the business (and Danny uses them!).

Not sure how old Danny is now, but it would be nice if some of you (and Basschat?) could wish him Happy Birthday on April 4th for his magnificent collection of years!

Mick (the Lonely Frog).