Why become a member? ×

School boy error

Bassmonkey

I usually take 2 basses to my gigs. On Friday, was being lazy, had my Stingray handy having just the day before fitted my first set of flats ever. Started the gig. My amp was being a pain, volume was way too low. I could not get used to the flats. They don't seem to resonate in the same way as rounds do. I got all conflicted as to where the issue was, played more aggressively to hear my self. All I could think was how I could get another guitar delivered (SOS call to my wife perhaps?) Sore fingers, head all over the place. Ended up taking the rack out, going back on a cable from wireless which improved matters a bit. Afterwards wondered if the bloody battery was flat in the Stingray. Crap night. You live and learn eh kids?

Possibly the battery but to me that sounds more like the difference between rounds and flats - they really do, to me, react differently. I find there are far less dynamics in flats, it`s almost as if there is a lot of compression/limiting going on. The only ones I`ve found to not really suffer like this have been TIs. But I`d be willing to bet no-one in the audience would have thought any worse of the bass sound, and chances are any bassists in the audience would have probably been keen to find out why the sound was so good as another thing I find with flats, out front, they really work in the mix. Solid bass, much less booming and much much less twanging in the guitars territory.