Why become a member? ×

HELP with EMG 40DCs on Tobias TOBY Pro

Guest BassKS

Guest BassKS

Hi there,

Im trying to upgrade my beautiful Toby pro 5 string with EMG 40DC and an AGGIE OBP3 pre. I m just not sure about the magnet spacing and stuff. Any help anyone?

[quote name='BassKS' post='260876' date='Aug 12 2008, 03:01 PM']Hi there,

Im trying to upgrade my beautiful Toby pro 5 string with EMG 40DC and an AGGIE OBP3 pre. I m just not sure about the magnet spacing and stuff. Any help anyone?[/quote]

EMG 40DC use blade magnets, so can accomodate any spacing up to the maximum string spread which for 40DC is 3.25" (taken from the catalogue available at www.emginc.com)

Guest BassKS

[quote name='budget bassist' post='261000' date='Aug 12 2008, 04:54 PM']I've seen a few people using them, just slap them in and you'll be fine!

Also how much was that preamp and where from? I've put some bartolinis in my toby pro 5 but i just don't like the pre...[/quote]

YEah tobys pre is rather poo...however barts are also passive which expect the pre to do the hard work and this is where the tobys stock one fails. EMGs on the other hand are active and have a preamp built in which mean all one has to do is boost/cut the freq's.

As for AGGIE the www.bestbassgear.com do them for 139 dollars...bass gallery do them for 135 pounds but they do fit it for that money. which is the best idea and I plan to do that. Im talking about the obp3 whereas obp1 can be obtained for less. I do want the mid control badly. it makes recording easier.