Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Play of the Day : ‘Banker's Got A Shotgun’, from Skol303...

Dad3353

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:181945]
[size=4]Good evening, all...[/size]
[size=4]Here is my own, personal, view of the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge, in randomly chosen order. I hope that at least some will be inspired to give the works a listen, and perhaps vote for their favourite. All the pieces can be heard here...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254191-january-composition-challenge-voting"]BC January Composition Challenge voting...[/url][/size]

[size=4]... and the 'Play of the Day' here ...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/bankers-got-a-shotgun"]‘Banker's Got A Shotgun’, from Skol303...[/url][/size]

[size=4]A simple guitar riff, a count-in on the high-hat and drums and we're off. Heavy, very heavy bass and powerful 'rock' drums push the guitar riff, but our attention is immediately taken by the all too explicit lyrics (well, we were warned..!). A descent of horns accompany us into the refrain. Equally clear in its propos, we sense a certain disatisfaction with the current state of affairs in politics as in finance. The riffs from guitar and bass intertwine, and become musical hammer blows. The air clears slightly, we're back to the opening riff, interspersed with a disconcerting single note descent until the drums wake us up and the pressure is back on. Another verse, relating a similar opinion; an apt quotation punctuates the recit before the refrain punches back in. Open high-hats for a bass-drums spotlight, ending with a solo bass line and we're back again to the leitmotif guitar riff introducing the powerfully fleshed-out refrain, culminating in a climax of hammer blows terminated by a solitary squeal of feedback.[/size]
[size=4]A resolutely engaged piece; there is not much room for interpretation in the lyrics proposed. Some will rejoice, others may quiver and pull the sheets up more tightly. The picture seems to have inspired a somewhat beligerent stance; this comes through very clearly. Excellent production, faultless playing and very appropriate use of the sonic space and ancilliary effects. Very good work indeed. Poetry..? Hmm, not so much. Efficiency..? In spades. Well done; respect.[/size]

[size=4]The previous review was...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254311-play-of-the-day-no-happy-bunny-from-alibabu/"]Play of the Day : ‘No Happy Bunny’, from alibabu...[/url][/size]

[size=4]The next will feature [url="http://soundcloud.com/ben-webb-15/puppets-of-the-revolution-master"]‘Puppets Of The Revolution Master’, from Old_Ben...[/url][/size]

[size=4]Until then...[/size]

[size=4]Have a nice day[/size]

[size=4]Douglas[/size]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Thanks Doug! That’s a very kind and well written review. It's great that you take the time to write these; always appreciated.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4][i]“Belligerent”[/i]… you know me too well :D[/size][/size][/font]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1422365110' post='2671632']
[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]Thanks Doug! That’s a very kind and well written review. It's great that you take the time to write these; always appreciated.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4][i]“Belligerent”[/i]… you know me too well :D[/size][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Edited by Dad3353