Why become a member? ×

Steinberger bass, strings advice and experiences please

Pinball

Hi, I've been offered a 5 stringer and whats more its fretless. It's one of the more trad ones rather than the skinny design.
What about strings?
Are you stuck with own brand strings?

I'm off to try it later so any advice from owners or those in the know is much appreciated

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1422196145' post='2669713']
You should be able to use any double ball end strings. Status Hot Wires are always good. Good price as well and a wide choice of types and gauges.
[/quote]
[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1422196476' post='2669718']
+1 for Hotwires.

There are also offerings from Rotosound, LaBella, D'Addario and GHS.
[/quote]

Great thanks, that was my main concern and I like hotwires. I thought I may struggle with it being a 5 stringer. Anything particualr that I should be looking out for?

If your bass has a wooden fingerboard you might be better to try some halfwounds. If you don't mind the fingerboard being chewed up then try some rounds. I don't like too light a string on a fretless. A .40 or .45 G sounds best to me on fretless. More string to give you mwah.

I didn't go for it in the end.

It was a wood bodied/necked passive Spirit. The condition was great but the sound didn't grab me and it sounded rather thin. Also I didn't like the plastic fittings at the head end so walked away. Interesting though and I would definitely take a look at another model if it came up. Thanks for the replies.