Why become a member? ×

re-covering cabs

ajones164

Hello

Has anyone any words of advice regarding the re-covering of cabs? Is it expensive? Is it something I can have done locally or is it a case of getting my cab to a manufacturer.

I don't have a particularly expensive cab (though I’m very happy with the sound), but its getting very tatty and bits of the covering is starting to pull off, didn’t know if its worth looking into a little cosmetic upgrade?

What were you thinking of covering it with? Carpet is fairly easy to do, although it takes a bit of practise and you may find yourself wanting to re-do the job once you've finished. Carpet and glue are available from Blue Aran or CPC.

Alternatively you can use Duratex (also known as Tuffcab) which is a special textured cabinet paint, also available from Blue Aran. You just put it on with a normal paint roller, but the cabinet will need a lot of preparation and sanding first because imperfections tend to show through it unless you put it on really thick.

For loads of advice about covering cabs try the Bill Fitzmaurice forum. It's full of amateur cab builders who do that sort of thing all the time.

Edited by AndyMartin

I've just covered my home build BFM Omni10 with Tuffcab paint and it was really easy to apply, just time consuming to sand and layer half a dozen times.

If you want to pay someone else to refinish your cab with carpet, then I can highly recommend Errol from Plugstudios (http://www.plugstudios.co.uk, based in Norwich so not a million miles from Cambridshire). He makes guitar and bass cabs and can also recover them in all manner of crazy/funky/fluffy carpets. I don't know his current prices but they have always been extremely keen and he's a great chap.

Edited by peted