Why become a member? ×

Daft question I expect but....

Defo

Say bye bye to your pedal... If your pedal cannot handle anything above 9v (check specs) do not even think about it.

Some pedals can have an input range of 9-18v as higher voltage improves their headroom, but that depends on internal design and will always come in the manual and sometimes on the pedal.

Edited by Byo

[quote name='Defo' timestamp='1421255880' post='2659042']
What would happen if I used the 12v outputs on my Harley Benton Powerplant to power standard 9V Boss/MXR pedals? Does anyone else do this?

Thanks

Andy
[/quote]

Are the 12V outputs regulated ?
In general I don't think it will do any harm since the 9V figure is likely just a convenient value as available from a PP3 battery cell.
I run some pedals from an unregulated '9V' AC adaptor but that 9V is the voltage @ 1 Amp of current. The voltage is more at typical pedal current levels. I know as I've measured it - I don't have the figures to hand but as I recall it's in the region of 11 to 12 Vdc.
You might find leds run a bit brighter which will affect their expected lifetime slightly but that isn't really a major issue with pedal use.

Of course - don't sue me if it goes wrong :-)