Why become a member? ×

Been playing for 1 week

organic

[quote name='organic' timestamp='1421326680' post='2659851']
....which has to be the worst design I've seen in ages...
[/quote]

I take it you've not looked at the Walker's Crisps site then? (don't ask why I went there!)

Actually they (Status) are very good and usually deliver strings post free in 48 hours. One order was one day later and they sent an apology email!

[quote name='organic' timestamp='1420723806' post='2652559']
Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

I think when the strings need changing I'll try a set of flats.

As for the recording setup, I'm currently using a DI box into a focusrite saffire audio interface. A pre-amp (or maybe a bass practice amp with a line out?) would probably make a huge difference. Particularly as the other problem I'm having is that I'm having to turn the gain up pretty high but then if I accidentally play a string too hard it just goes straight into the red. May try a compressor pedal in the interim.
[/quote]

What are you recording into? Logic? Garageband? You don't need to record at a very high level (i.e. keep it well out of the red) - if you're in either of those two DAWs then get the recording in and try some of the preset 'bass guitar' settings on the channel. They add compression and eq, amp sims etc, and some are very good. You can tweak to taste.

Edited by tedmanzie