Why become a member? ×

Eb0 pick up replacement...cheap one really

teddyt

picking up a eb0 clone(£30) today. with non working pick up as this is gonna be my first bass ( just to see if i can get to grips with it), I dont care much about quality or fantasic sound

question Is what pick up to put into it?? would any neck type do or is it a matter of tracking down a specific one? also price as said dont want to spend alot .

my lad has peavy, and aria basses along with some others so i know a fair sounding. he wont let me touch them!!! :huh: not a bad judge really
so any help would be great
please dont tell me to buy a all singing all dancing bass right now as if this gets me into it I will spend proper money then

Can't help you much without measurements, but for EB/SG style pickup, Allparts doing this for £36 - http://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/pickups/products/humbucking-neck-pickup-for-gibson-bass

After that, it's a DiMarzio Model One, a bit dearer at £60 plus postage - http://www.thomann.de/gb/dimarzio_dp120_model_one_bk.htm

I have a Gibson TB+ under an EB/SG style cover plate which I might be willing to sell - I replaced the neck pickup of my Midtown Standard with a DiMarzio Model One. It might also fit under the cover you already have if the "pole pieces" line up - happy to get the ruler out to check.

• 1 month later...

Another reason it was called a mudbucker is that the original Gibson EB-0's had a more complicated tone circuit that shunted off even more top end. Wiring the pickup with a conventional control circuit with 500kohm pots and a .033 capacitor instead of the stock 250 kohm pots and .047 capacitor will bring out all the top end there is to be had.

Before buying a new pickup it might be worth checking that the old one is actually dead. Quite often people think that the pickup has died because there's no output from the instrument, but it can turn out that it's just a case of faulty wiring. If you haven't done so already you should break out a multimeter/continuity tester and check the pickup.