Why become a member? ×

Pickup switch repairs?

Instructio4

I was having problems with my pickup switch on my guitar so I decided to open it up and have a look to see if any connections needed repairing/soldering. After having a good close look I couldn't see any problems so I put it back together. Any ideas as to what else I could do? I don't want to put the new strings on if the problem still occurs with it cutting out, so I left it unstrung for now.

It's a Squier Stratocaster Affinity Series

Thanks!

Edited by Astronaut_Abort

• 2 weeks later...

Right ok. I might just take it in to be looked at. Out of interest, after having a look myself and not seeing any loose connections and then putting it back together it's no longer popping, could this change once I put the strings on? Main reason I ask is I don't wanna waste a new set of strings...

My best guess, without actually seeing it, is that there's a bad contact there somewhere.

Taking it apart and reassembling it has probably 'shoved' whatever it is that's loose, back into a position where it can get a passable contact again.

It may work for the time being but it will fail again.

If it were me, I'd just change the switch (or get it changed) and have done with it. :)

Like others have said, Strat switches eventually fail. You may extend their life by fiddling with the contacts, but once it starts misbehaving, it's best to simply replace it. It may seem ok now, but it'll probably fail again and you know Murphy's law ;)

It may also be a time to consider other arrangements, perhaps. On one of my strats I fitted a "megaswitch" I think it was called... It looks and works just like a standard 5-way switch, but instead of the middle pickup alone (which I didn't care for) you can easily wire it to give you neck+bridge, which I find it a more interesting combination. There are other alternative wirings around, and switches that allows you to easily achieve them.

I also tend to move mid tone control to the bridge, and have the neck and mid either share the other or leave the mid without it. Lots of fun can be had with strats and their wiring!