Why become a member? ×

Marshall 1981 2x15" cab advice

tommania

Hi guys,
I recently picked up this 1981 Marshall 2x15" 200w cab at 16ohms.

The reason I bought it was because I got it at a steal of £35! It sounds gnarly, got a really nice tone for what I'm going for and it's loud as hell.

However my problem is I think my head will probably blow it. I am using the Ashdown ABM 900 Evo III which is 575w+575w at 4ohms.

I notice that if I have my input and output knobs any higher than both at 12oclock my dial goes insane.
That seems loud enough for me though, but is this likely to damage the cab? If I was to hook up another cab using the same side as the head would this ease the amount of power going into the cab?

Thanks,
Tom

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1418138789' post='2627250']
Are you the Tom I think you are?

The minimum load your amp wants to see is 4 ohms. Running at 16ohms will certainly compromise it's ability to go loud, but shouldn't damage it.
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]CREEPY TOM?!
Me and Ant are sharing it! Just worried about pushing it and damaging it 'cause my head is a bit of a monster! I'll bring it to the studio and you'll have to try it out![/font]

16 Ohms cab will help reduce power delivered by head, thus lessening chances of destruction. Take a look at most solid state specifications - max power usually at 4 or 2 ohms, significantly less power at 16 ohms. Speakers at 200W thermal power rating is not a lot in this day and age in comparison to the potential output of your head at 16 ohns. If it starts 'farting' or making other bad noises adjust the loud knob downwards.