Why become a member? ×

How high to tune before risking breaking a string?

I need to use a different tuning on a song and it means I need to tune the G string up a whole tone to get one particular note. I don't [i]think[/i] just one tone's worth of extra tension will cause the string problems but does anyone know for sure? I don't slap'n'pop, and for the song in question I'll be playing fingerstyle so the string won't be under severe stress from a playing perspective.

I'm only worrying because one of only two times I've ever snapped a string was when I was restringing and tuned the G by ear and, unusually for me/my ears, was way off and --poing-- Thing is, I don't know how far off I was 'cos it had snapped so it was too late to find out!

Thanks in advance.

The other week one of the bassists for one of the other bands had a 5 string bass and the rest of the band were in drop B and he knew he wanted to use his low B string but didn't know how to tune it, so i ended up doing it for him. Basically i kept his low B as standard and tuned the other 4 strings up a tone. I don't know what guage they were but they were absolutely fine.

You could use a lighter G string perhaps a 30, but you would have to experiment. A guy I know has his bass tuned strange, I think he has a low D and a hight A. You could get a 5 string if you havn't already got one and tune it like John Paul Jones EADGC. If your bass only as 20 or 21 frets you could look at getting something with more frets (24-26) but I would try a lighter string first as it's the cheapest option. Rotosound do single stainless steel strings you can get from strings direct starting at 0.25 for about 4 quid, if you don't like Rotosound or SS then you might need to but a full set of strings. It all really hinges on how much you need that high note.