Why become a member? ×

Mark bass CMD121p any good?

chrisanthony1211

I've had this a couple of weeks now, and rehersal twice, and I'm mightiy impressed with this little amp. It's a similar weight to my AER amp one but obviously a little bigger having the 12 inch speaker. The amp one is definitely better at producing those low notes, and it doesn't really matter what you do with the eq, it just always sounds great! Whereas with the Mark bass I find it requires a lot more twiddling of knobs to get the desired sounds, and definately need to drop those high mids a little to stop it sounding a little honky! First gig with it tonight (mad Friday!) at brass monkey in Nottingham for its first real test!

Bloody good, I'm very impressed with this little beast,, louder than my amp one and the sound carries much better, unlike the AER where it is just impossible to get a bad sound out of it, this takes some knob twiddling to get the sound i wanted, It's the same weight as the amp one but just a little bigger. My plan is the 121p on its own for small gigs and rehersal, and I shall definately be getting the ny121 extension cab for bigger gigs. I've got the markbass compressore for Christmas with its valve doing the compressing so I'm looking forward to how that sounds. I've got through plenty of amps in my time, but this is definately the best all round package for quality of sound and power to weight ratio. The AER was the best option for a lightweight rig until I tried this. The biggest problem with the Amp one is that any extension cabinet needs to be powered, this obviously increases the cost of things quite a bit, whereas I can pick up a second hand ny121 for about £250 and I've got the perfect mini rig of doom. I had an orange TB500c combo before this which I really liked, but the Orange was twice the weight and no louder and could sound a little muddy with the eq actually doing little to affect the sound, I've said this before in the last 12 months, but I don't think I'll be swapping this for a while! I'm very impressed with this offering from markbass, can't wait to get the extension can. And brass monkey was a great gig loved it, and they loved the funk!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

Great news that it's working for you Chris.

Everything you've said only serves to make me regret selling mine even more. :(

At one time I'd even decided to buy another identical CMD121P. The idea was that I always had a spare amp in case one broke at a gig. Never did get around to that one though.

Glad you're enjoying yours and I think you'll be amazed at the sound if you add another cab.

Frank.

• 1 month later...

Well I've had this for a few months now, and I'm very hay with this little fella indeed. The amp at 29 lbs is easily loud enough to keep up with the rest of the band at rehersal and small/medium gigs, and just throw the extension cab underneath (which also weighs 29lbs) and I'm pretty much good to go anywhere. I really can't fault these amps at all, I've had a lot of high end amps in my time, and for me, this is the best all round package that I have ever used.