Why become a member? ×

Big Muff 'blogger'?

Cantdosleepy

[quote name='cheddatom' post='256077' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:04 AM']It's just a strange name for a pedal, it was mentioned in the effects section a while ago. Are you going to get yourself some dirt? I think it'd help you cut through!

Amazon sell all kinds of random stuff these days![/quote]

To be honest mate, after the last gig I'm thinking of getting an ax. We were shocking.

Also I'm one of those douchey POD kids - digital approximations of everything FTW!

Nah, haven't. And it's not in the mind. In the first song, for example, the guitarist had the distortion he uses to do his solos turned up too loud, so when he stomped on it he was surprised at the volume increase and fluffed the beginning of the solo, causing him to drop out for the next four bars. He then came back in on the solo, but in the wrong key, which he didn't notice until a couple of wildly dissonant phrases, then dropped out again saying out loud 'nope, I've lost it', leaving me and the drums to finish the whole of the buildup into the final chorus. Which didn't build up too well.

Most of the songs had a similar sort of gaffe at some point.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='256246' date='Aug 6 2008, 01:30 PM']Nah, haven't. And it's not in the mind. In the first song, for example, the guitarist had the distortion he uses to do his solos turned up too loud, so when he stomped on it he was surprised at the volume increase and fluffed the beginning of the solo, causing him to drop out for the next four bars. He then came back in on the solo, but in the wrong key, which he didn't notice until a couple of wildly dissonant phrases, then dropped out again saying out loud 'nope, I've lost it', leaving me and the drums to finish the whole of the buildup into the final chorus. Which didn't build up too well.

Most of the songs had a similar sort of gaffe at some point.[/quote]

Ahhh, that's pretty bad. Almost as bad as your singer forgetting his songs and turning round to grab your drum sticks to stop the song because HE's so important!

I had some strong words to our singer after that, just to say that while he may have pulled it off on that night, stopping songs mid way through takes the momentum out of a set, re-starting them is boring for the audience, and having the arrogance to stop your band will just rile them!

Maybe you could convey a similar "just keep playing and make it sound right" message?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='256273' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:00 PM']Ahhh, that's pretty bad. Almost as bad as your singer forgetting his songs and turning round to grab your drum sticks to stop the song because HE's so important!

I had some strong words to our singer after that, just to say that while he may have pulled it off on that night, stopping songs mid way through takes the momentum out of a set, re-starting them is boring for the audience, and having the arrogance to stop your band will just rile them!

Maybe you could convey a similar "just keep playing and make it sound right" message?[/quote]

I've not found a force on earth that can dissuade an arrogant singer/guitard from their course of action!

Cattle prods go some way, but they play havoc with the mics!

I wouldn't let a cattle prod near my rig!

I just spoke to him when I was alone and explained that when I forget something, or make a mistake, I carry on playing, staying in time, so that we don't look like tits. At worst, I will miss two beats and come back in again, but I would never start a section, let alone a song, because I f*ck a bit up. I explained how I have said the same to the bassist, and how the guitarist understands it anyway, and I think it made him feel obliged to get a bit more proffessional.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='256273' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:00 PM']Almost as bad as your singer forgetting his songs and turning round to grab your drum sticks to stop the song because HE's so important![/quote]

Oh good grief, how did you not kill him?