Why become a member? ×

Questions about Yamaha TRBX series

DSBass

Hello! I am curious about Yamaha TRBX 304/305 and 504/505 series basses.

I have owned a Yamaha BB 414 which I liked exept the look of it. I have also owned a TRB5P and a TRB1005j and I didn´t like the sound of those two at all.

Are the TRBX sounding more like the BB series or the TRB series?

Also, if you own and have gigged a lot with one of the TRBX basses, how do like it? How does it seem to hold up?

Thanks for answers.
Best regards/Daniel

I owned a BB 414 and a TRBX 304 and they don`t sound similar: different pickups and active versus passive. I have moved both on but I prefer the BB and now have an old BB 1100s and couldn`t be happier.

To be honest, I found the TRBX sounds (and there are a good few available via the niffty 5 way switch) not to my liking after a few weeks. I tend to find this when buying cheaper active only basses but this is imo only.

I not saying one is better than the other, they are just different. If I was buying one again, I would go for the 504 with the active/passive option and other pickups as they seem to get a decent write up. And the build quality is usually spot on as well.

Tonally, I felt the TRBX504 I used to own had more in common with the BB than the TRB. The TRBX does a great neck pickup rock tone for example, very very similar to a P bass. The TRB4 I used to have could not even get close.
However, for split pickup tones I felt the TRBX was a tiny bit lacking compared to both TRB and BB. Not bad, but just not quite as punchy and "piano-like".
For bridge pickup tones, The TRBX does a great funk one, like the TRB. Both are better than the simple J pickup on the BB bridge position.
All are great basses IMO, but I enjoyed the tones from both TRBX and BB, where as the TRB left me a bit cold.

I was at 3 musicstores today but none of them had the bass so I couldn't try it out. Seems I have to order it online without the ability to test it first.

I also have the opportunity to buy a BB1600 from 1986. Japan made. I know these are good basses. Hard to decide.

I've been playing a TRBX505 for the past month. I had never played a Yamaha bass before getting this so have nothing to compare it to. I did try both this and a TRBX305 in the shop and found the 505 to be the winner.
What I liked was the active/passive mode, complete with battery LED, and proper EQ.
So far I've done 5 gigs with it and it's a really solid performer. The string spacing/nut width is nice as I find Jazz necks much easier to play. The tone flat lacks character, but then I'm used to Fender tones so I'm still getting used to this. It does make a nice blank canvas tough, and the passive mode is actually very nice, and closer to what I'd say was a Fender/vintage tone. The bass even works without a battery in it, which is a weight off my mind as ive had a couple of situations in the past with dead batteries.
Amazingly ive not had to even tune this bass up at gigs, and I use a very thin old gig bag. The turners seem rock solid, and are very smooth.
It balances very well, no neck dive that I can detect