Why become a member? ×

Fender jazz road worn neck....

catmanhog

Hello,

Is any else having any issues with the neck on a Fender jazz road worn? Or more specifically, what happens to your left arm & hand when playing one?!
I managed to get a great deal on a Fiesta red road worn jazz bass, have been playing a Japanese jazz bass for a few years.
Played the road worn live a few times now and my hand and arm are struggling! I know its a 'C' neck and i am just wondering if my Japanese has a modern 'C' that is making things easier or is it my imagination?!
I have tried to adjust my strap and position when playing it but its no heavier or anything like that...
Any insight would be much appreciated should someone have some.

Thanks.

Hi, I've got a Roadworn Jazz
and it's my fave / most comfortable bass to play :)

It's a Mex built (I think they all are?)
and a few years old
I got it second-hand from this fab forum

It plays beautifully, and I find the neck is just superb
Can't say I have any issues with it at all
I can play it for ages & ages

I can't think what would cause your problem
Does the neck have a bit of "drag" compared to your Japan Jazzes?
My left hand usually glides along, I must say
And the neck seems slimmer than some US Jazzes I've played

Hope you can get some helpful feedback, and a solution
Let us know how you get on

Best
Marc

Edited by Marc S

I seem to end up with a kind of cramp in my hand and in my arm - it does not feel that different to my other jazz, i can't understand it!
I like it too much to think about moving it on until i have tried every other option known to man...

Other things can affect cramp in your hand
Is it possible that you've only happened to notice it after playing your Roadworn?

Have you maybe been clicking away at a computer mouse a lot during the day?

How does the neck finish feel, in comparison to your Japan-made neck?
Is it more shiny, less shiny?
I wonder whether the finish is more worn on your other bass.....

I have too many basses atm, including a lovely US Jazz I recently bought on here
But I'd hate to think of parting with my roadworn....... eughhhhh

Edited by Marc S

Roadworns have a smaller radius fretboard & use skinnier frets don't they?

These changes probably mean the angles your fingers & wrist are bending at are slightly different to what you're used to so it might just be your muscles straining. How long have you been playing the roadworn (length of ownership not duration per session)? If it's less than a month I'd be tempted to say give it another couple in order for your muscles to strengthen up then see how you feel.

I have a RW Jazz and echo the Marc S that it's a comfortable neck to play. However I did find with my RW P that at first I was having pain in my thumb joints and wrists. What this came down to was hand position - not being used to the different profile, I was unintentionally pressing hard with my thumb into the back of the neck to compensate, which was straining the tendons. My suggestion is to play your Jap Jazz and carefully observe your hand position and pressure of thumb/fingers and how relaxed your wrist/shoulder are. Then play your RW Jazz and compare. It only takes a small change to lead to strain. I agree with comment above that you might need to develop hand strength, but if we're talking about tendon strain, you want to nip it in the bud asap.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1415706011' post='2602808']
Roadworns have a smaller radius fretboard & use skinnier frets don't they?

These changes probably mean the angles your fingers & wrist are bending at are slightly different to what you're used to so it might just be your muscles straining....
[/quote]

My Roadworn has the same size frets as my USA
The necks are really similar, in terms of width, depth and radius too
If anything, my USA Jazz is very slightly (only very slightly mind you) narrower
at the nut end - not really anything much in it mind

Certainly no neck dive on my roadworn....

Like I say, it's the most comfortable bass I've yet played
Part of that, I'm sure, is the fact that it is "roadworn" in appearance too
By that, I mean I'm not overly precious about it, or having forty fits when a drummer is setting up right next to it

I hope you can sort your problem
But whatever you feel about the bass, it's not worth suffering tendonitis
Good luck

Marc

Hmm maybe they've changed them then, when I played on one it had noticeably smaller frets & the fretboard was slightly more curved (ie smaller radius) than my US jazz.

Still, great basses (if a little pricey new nowadays). Hope the OP finds a solution soon...

Thanks for all the advice!
Been looking at the positions etc again this evening, will take all comments and advice on board.
Only other way i can describe it, is to say the back of the neck feels almost flat compared to my JPN jazz.
Only time will tell!