Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

EQ on the blink...battery or wiring?

EliasMooseblaster

Just wondering whether anyone else has dealt with this problem, before I run my fretless back to the shop for servicing:

I bought a Warwick/Rockbass Corvette a few months ago. It's the first active bass I've ever owned: master volume, blend, +/- bass and +/- treble. Everything seemed to working fine, though admittedly I wasn't experimenting with the onboard EQ very much...I noticed the other day that the treble control seems to have stopped having any effect, and on closer inspection, the bass control seems to have lost any finesse and can now only do "flat", "no lows" or "ridiculous bass boost."

I popped the battery out and a tester suggests there's still a reasonable amount of juice in it (but on the other hand, I don't have a fresh 9V to test it against). Is it worth running it back to Denmark St for a wiring check-up, or am I in danger of looking very silly when they pop a fresh battery in, and everything works again?

if you have a push/pull volume control like my german made warwick, then if you have pulled out the volume knob you have put it into passive mode. this completely bypasses the EQ section and the only thing that effects the sound is the blend between the neck and bridge pickups. please note this is in a German $$ corvette. And if your battery is flat, it will switch into passive mode (on mine i have to pull out the volume to put it into passive mode even if the battery is flat)

[quote name='pnefc42' timestamp='1415650874' post='2602438']
Buy one?
[/quote]
Don't be ridiculous, that would be FAR too sensible!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415654168' post='2602482']
First rule of the active bass club, keep at least one battery in front of yourself, I have 3 pp3s in my gig bag at any one time, never needed to use one in an emergency but they are there, strings and battery once a year around my own birthday to help remember these days :yarr:
[/quote]
Now there's an idea...though the family are going to be very confused when I tell them I just want a 9V battery for christmas...

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1415666209' post='2602613']
if you have a push/pull volume control like my german made warwick, then if you have pulled out the volume knob you have put it into passive mode. this completely bypasses the EQ section and the only thing that effects the sound is the blend between the neck and bridge pickups. please note this is in a German $$ corvette. And if your battery is flat, it will switch into passive mode (on mine i have to pull out the volume to put it into passive mode even if the battery is flat)
[/quote]

No such luxury for me - mine's a Rockbass (made in China?) so no active/passive switch. I did just give the knob a tug to check (oo-er), but I think it's time to bite the bullet and go and buy a battery!