Why become a member? ×

Warwick 2 piece bridge setup question

markytbass

I have lowered the bridge including bridge base itself as low as it will go to get the desired action on the bass. Now the manual says, and I quote.

"Raising the bridge might cause the string to touch the body which holds the string saddle. This might cause rattling and string breakage. In this case we recomend you lower the bridge and raise the single saddles".

I don't have any problems with the setup that I have, no rattling and no string breakage (yet) and the words "might" and "recommend" in the above paragraph lead me to believe I probably won't and just an arse covering exersise.

Have any Warwick owners had any problems?

I believe the manual is a slightly awkward translation from the German. Basses such as the Infinity have the tailpiece in a recess and I believe that if you lower the whole bridge too far then the strings can sit on the edge of the bridge itself. Vibration of the string on the edge of the bridge *could* cause a weakness in the string if you are really unlucky.

I've lowered the bridge on my Thumb BO as far as it will go and the strings are not resting on any edge/corner of the bridge surround (I believe this is what they refer to as 'body' in the manual).

The body of the bridge (where the arrow points to in the manual) is cut at about a 45 degree angle and is not sharp. Looking at my strings at the bridge they seem to be just touching the "body" there is no noticable bend in the string. I can't lower the whole bridge any further and don't want to raise the saddles and thus strings. The only option I can see (if I do ever have problems) would be the raise the tail slightly.

[quote name='markytbass' post='254271' date='Aug 4 2008, 11:45 AM']The body of the bridge (where the arrow points to in the manual) is cut at about a 45 degree angle and is not sharp. Looking at my strings at the bridge they seem to be just touching the "body" there is no noticable bend in the string. I can't lower the whole bridge any further and don't want to raise the saddles and thus strings. The only option I can see (if I do ever have problems) would be the raise the tail slightly.[/quote]

Don't worry about it, as you say it is a Warwick caveat just in case a f*ckwit messes up his new Warwick.

If the string is touching anywhere 'behind' the string break over the saddle and it isn't causing an issue (which it shouldn't) then "Don't worry - be happy"

It might help to consider that thru-body stringing on many basses means that the string bends at the point it goes through the bass plate and some people will even claim that this extra contact is improving tone/clarity/sustain... so you may be improving your Warwick :)