Why become a member? ×

Squier Bronco/Mustang thing.

NancyJohnson

Just wanted to share this. Started life as a cheap Squier Bronco Badtz Maru bass. To be honest, I bought it for two reasons, I wanted a cheap shortscale and I liked the scratchplate.

OK, so let's see. I broke the top of the original headstock trying to rout bigger holes for better machines, so sourced a 70s Mustang neck/machines from the US - on arrival it was clear the truss rod was maxxed out (so sold on here as a project for someone). The body sat in the spare bedroom for a while. Obtained a Squier Mustang neck/machines from the US, which was peachy. Changed the stock (strat) pickup for an unused hotrails unit and last week, in an attempt to resolve intonation issues from the original bridge, I fitted a full on Mustang unit with through body stringing. Dunlop Straploks and DR Neons (the Neons because these were the only spare strings I had). Despite the quantity/quality of the more premium basses I own, it's quite nice really.

As Norm Abram would say, 'This has been a fun project.'
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this for my girlfriend, she wanted a mustang but it's her first bass. I've put in a Seymour Duncan 50s precision style pickup and CTS pots and it sounds and plays lovely. Sarah is getting a my little pony decal made for it......I'm planning nicer machine heads, we have different approaches to modifying......