Why become a member? ×

Help - how much value is lost?

GregBass

Hi all
I'm not sure which forum to put this on, so I'll start here. I have a 1973 Fender Mustang bass that had been really badly refinished, so I asked a local "luthier" to refinish it back to its original colour. Making a long story short, he messed up big time and ended up stripping the bass and sending it out to Jack's Guitars for him to do the refin. After lots of arguments, I finally got the body back from Jack - and he had done a superb job. Thed problem is with the rest .....

When the local guy returned the neck and hardware, the bridge was missing. He claims that it's "somewhere in my unit", but can't actually find it. Vintage parts for Mustangs are like rocking horse droppings, so it looks as though the best I can do is to fit a Squier bridge and bill the guy for the drop in value. So - how much will it reduce the value of the bass if I fit a new bridge?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Greg

The overall value of the bass has already been compromised by the refin, but obvisouly if everything else is original it will probably sell for a bit more than if it has a replacement bridge.

If he admits that he has it, which he appears to be doing, in my opinion he has to find it or replace it a "like for like" off eBay or similar.

Indeed, WB. Every time I contact him, he says words to the effect of "I have moved away and will have another look next time I'm back in town". I first handed the bass to him over 2 years ago, so I am now reaching the point where I want to do what's necessary to get it up and running then use courts if necessary to sort out the value.