Why become a member? ×

Comparison of CT basses vs Hofner German Basses

blue

[size=3][font=Arial Black][b]There are a number of similarities and differences between a German Hofner and a CT Series bass. First of all an astounding $1,500.00. I was an owner of the Korean Made Contemporary Series Club. For me, as soon as I plugged in my German crafted Hofner 502/Limited Edition Club Bass and heard the first thump it was worth the extra $1,500.00.[/b][/font]

[b][font=Arial Black]This sounds subtle, however I think it could be the rason there's a drastic difference between the tone of these 2 basses. I referring to the center block;[/font][/b]

[i][b][font=Arial Black]All CT series bases have a spruce top and flame maple back and sides as do most German basses however German basses are made of a slightly higher grades of wood. CT basses (other than the President) have a center block for greater sustain and strength, German basses retain the original design and do not use a center block.[/font][/b][/i]

[b][font=Arial Black]The exterior dimensions of German and CT series basses are basically the same however other than pickups most hardware is not interchangeable. German basses offer German hardware and neck dimensions that are historically accurate creating reissues of particular 50's and 60's bass models while the CT is not a reissue of any particular model. Notice the difference in the pick up spacing, also the CT bass has a polyurethane finish and The German Hofner is finished with varnish only. ( keep your belt off ).[/font][/b]

[b][font=Arial Black]The CT series basses use the same German made Hofner staple pickups most German built basses. Personally I don't think they are the same Hofner Contemporary series basses come with round strings and black knobs rather than the traditional German flat wound strings and tea cup knobs. They do offer an flat wound strings ($39) and teacup knobs ($39) as an upgrade. Personally this sounds like hi-jacking the CT Bass. I doubt you would gain much or what you might be sacrificing.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Arial Black]My German Hofner came with a awesome bullet style case where the CT series does not include a case.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Arial Black]My old CT Hofner Pics are on the left and The German Hofner pics are on the right.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Arial Black]Questions, comments?[/font][/b]

[b][font=Arial Black]Blue[/font][/b][/size]

Edited by blue

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1408489171' post='2530780']
I've fancied one of the CT basses for a long time. Would you say/know if the main tonal difference was the pup spacing or the centre block?
[/quote]

I'm not sure, my guess would be, it's the center block.

blue

I have a jubilee edition 500/1 (violin bass). It's #7 of 60. Korean made. Strung with la bella flats. It sounds awesome, it really does. Wonderful for a bit of blues rock. Both pickups wide open thru my ampeg PF500. I will, at some point, get myself a German re issue, in sunburst and remove the pick guard. I recently saw a Beatles tribute and their Macca was using a German re-issue and it sounded totally different to mine. Woollier, I think but very authentic.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1408514875' post='2530822']
I have a jubilee edition 500/1 (violin bass). It's #7 of 60. Korean made. Strung with la bella flats. It sounds awesome, it really does. Wonderful for a bit of blues rock. Both pickups wide open thru my ampeg PF500. I will, at some point, get myself a German re issue, in sunburst and remove the pick guard. I recently saw a Beatles tribute and their Macca was using a German re-issue and it sounded totally different to mine. Woollier, I think but very authentic.
[/quote]

You won't regret the purchase.

Blue