Why become a member? ×

NBD SBMM Ray34

addam360

Okay strictly speaking I got this a couple of days ago but this is the first chance I've had to do a quick write up on it.

First off, the bits that aren't the bass. The padded gig bag was surprisingly high quality with really thick padding. I won't hesitate to use it for gigs, however it does look cheap. The pocket on it is pretty big, easily enough for leads etc. The usual set of allen keys and a pole for tweaking the truss rod wheel wrap up the accessories.

Luckily I know a guy with a real Stingray so I had something to compare to. This is my main thing to compare with. Honestly, before you plug it in at least, I can't see the difference between the Stingray and the Ray34. I've heard that Sterling is to MM what MIM basses are to Fender, but I can't agree with this. The Sterling quality is in a whole new league.

There's not much to say on hardware specifics, the bridge, tuners etc all look and feel like the MM. Construction matches too, the neck is finished slightly differently but no worse and otherwise is shaped the exact same way. Even the fretwork is flawless. Action was set nice and low but Sterling can't really take the credit for this as much as where it was set-up again here in the UK. The strings have to go though.

The paint job is of lower quality though. I got the natural model and can point out two spots already where the was something floating in the lacquer that shouldn't be.

Things get a little different once you plug it in. From what I remember of the MM the Sterling has a slightly more restrained EQ. The bass isn't quite as booming and the highs are a little less piercing. The mid knob is nice to have, I usually run it just slightly boosted. All this being said, I am desperately in need of a new amp. None of this is negative, I wouldn't say this sounds any worse than the MM. In fact 90% of the time you wouldn't tell them apart, but the real Stingray just seems like it can get a bit more aggressive. That being said, I've heard the same thing about real 3EQ Stingrays, so maybe that's the reason.

Overall, after all the hassle involved in choosing this new bass, I'm relieved to know I picked the right one. This bass is far more impressive than I's expected from a half price Stingray. It's virtually indistinguishable from the real thing.

Pics to come soon.

These were my impressions of the SBMM Ray34 as well. I had a "real" Stingray at the time, a 1998 model, and it was only the worn feeling of its neck, as oppose to the shiny new one on the Ray34 where I could really tell any difference. Really great basses, and they can be found for some pretty good prices used.