Why become a member? ×

what colour sadowsky NYC should i order??

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='249957' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:10 PM']I really like that spalted maple/walnut one (?) of Mark Latimour's, especially with the Norstrand pickups :)

Are the Norstrands very different to the stock Sadowskys, Mark?[/quote]

Neither of my Sadowsky bases have stock pickups. The PJ4 (alder/rosewood) has a Nordstrand NP4 and a NJ4SE in the bridge and the Standard 4 (Ash / Spalted maple) has Big Singles. The PJ4 is also strung with Sadowsky flats. The long and short is that the Nordstrand pickups are, IMO amazing and worth every cent. The Big Singles are a real winner if you want a beefed up J bass tone. They really work well with the Sadowsky 2 band preamp to give you that classic J growl, but with the modern active sound that Sadowsky's are known for. The tone is not massively different in the NJ4SE when solo'd, but the Big Singles defintely have more "bark" in the midrange (inherent to most singles), but are just "bigger" ( I guess hotter). I wouldn't hesitate to get them in a J bass. The Sadowsky modern with the big singles sound amazing (I played one in Roger's shop), but he does them in EMG DC45 covers so you can swap them out with the original Sadowsky soaps.

Its also worth noting that tonally the two Sadowsky's are very different anyway because of the different configurations of wood and the flats vs rounds. So its hard to do an exact comparison. If I had to do a rock gig, the PJ4 would be my first choice, no doubt. But something requiring more "sizzle" would see the Standard 4 get played. Both of them hve no trouble cutting through - that's what they do best.

Edited by Mark Latimour