Why become a member? ×

Where you pluck and string tension

BanjoChris

Hi,

I play a Yamaha BB 614 with DR Neon 105's (green!).

I'm learning Hit Me With You Rhythm Stick, that right of passage for all budding bass players.

I find that to play at the same speed as the record when it gets to the parts that are around the 5th to 10th frets I have to move my plucking hand away from over the p type pick up to over the end of the neck Geezer Butler style. The slacker tension there seems to help me pluck faster.

So I'm wondering are there some strings that are generally lower tension that I should try so I can get my fast plucking without moving away from the p pick up. I almost never go back beyond the j type pick up towards the bridge because there's no give in the strings there and I really slow down.

Cheers,

Chris.

Not sure about the strings but I do know from experience that DR ones generally seem a bit more taught than others. I play Elixir's these days and find them pretty balanced - but they don't come in neon green!

I will say though that our covers band does this song (I lost a bet with the drummer) and when I'm a little out of practice I too move closer to the neck to get the speed at a gig. I would hazard a guess that you're digging in a bit too much - which is slowing you down. It's a bad habit of mine... Here's the tip: try to play the whole thing lighter and move back to where the P pickup would be (I think that's roughly where Norm played it last time I saw him). Let the amp do the work and all that! It's tricky, but learning the right technique will do far more good in the long-term than changing strings to compensate.

I find it far easier to play fast near the bridge, but the 'secret' is to not put too much of the finger pad over the string so your finger kind of brushes on the string rather than hooking over it.

If you find it easier at the neck because there is more tension then I'm betting you do hook over the string a bit much and you need the movement of the string to release your finger from the string.

Strange that you find you can pluck faster over the neck than over the pickup as I've found the opposite, in that I can play faster (fingerstyle though) nearer the bridge where the string moves less under my fingers when struck; for me the lower compliance works better (because the string's 'flapping' about less).

Edited by HowieBass

I think with a lighter touch it is easier to play near the bridge. But when you play heavy and dig in, the lack of resistance means you can play faster nearer the neck.
I try and practice playing with a lighter touch, but on a gig with energy flowing (and guitarists turning up mid song) it's really easy to get carried away and dig in for a bit more volume. Especially when you're playing 16ths nearly all the way through, there's not much chance of tweaking the volume control!
I admit, it's a bad habit, but it does sound massive!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1404905280' post='2496814']
But when you play heavy and dig in, the lack of resistance means you can play faster nearer the neck.
[/quote]

That's odd - I find totally the opposite! I have a heavy-handed style as well.... :blink:

Neither of us are [b][i]wrong[/i][/b] of course - just different! :)

Edited by Conan

Yes, I thought I might be digging in too much.

Strange though, there's players who really dig in (I assume from their tone) like Steve Harris who play very fast and back towards the bridge.

Also I was watching the bass player from Metallica during Glastonbury on the tv and he really seemed to be digging in but had no problem with speed :) That's why I thought I may be missing a trick with strings. Maybe I should go for a lesson with a real live teacher! I'm completely self taught after switching over from guitar for a rock/metal band that I play in. Anyone recommend a teacher in the North West? I live near Blackpool. I'd probably just have a couple of lessons make sure my technique is sound.

Edited by BanjoChris