Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Basses...

Jarhead

Right, basically, Im looking to buy an acoustic bass at Music Live, for acoustic sets with my band (1 of which is happening later that month)
Im looking for something reliable, fairly cheap (budget of £250-300), sounds good plugged in and acoustic and has a good, reliable pre-amp
thanks in advance for any help you can give
Zach

Hmm, not to rock the boat too much, but I'd say just stick with an electric.

When you see live acoustic sets of your favourite musicians, the bass player is still normally plugged in.

The acoustic bass can't project the same volumes acoustic guitars can from the same sized body. This is why double basses are big. So I don't think they work for 100% unplugged sessions very well either. And the tones often aren't that great IMO.

YMMV, of course.

+1 for the unplugged ability of an acoustic bass.

I've tried numerous acoustic basses and they can't even compete with a couple of acoustic guitars, strummed enthusiastically in the house! It's different if you are getting one for the electro acoustic tone of that instrument but don't expect that you can use it for any public performance without amp support.

I have one ( a £60 cheapie with "Spider" on the headstock). I know this is below the price range you quoted and accept its limitations.

Its loud enough un-amped to practice with, but thats all. There is little adjustment, beyond filling down the nut or the bridge if the action is uncomfortable, there is no intonation adjustment.
The pre-amp has presence, volume, treblle, mid, bass and whilst that is good, the string to string balance isnt great. You can really hear any finger noise through it.
It is good for picking up and practising, and I suppose that there is some marginal benefit in working your fingers harder to play as the action is a little higher .

I'd echo the above posts and say get an electric that sounds a bit acoustic.