Why become a member? ×

Wicked Fretless @ the Gallery

bassjamm

Hi all,

Just a quick post.

I was down at the Gallery on Friday, i took my Marleaux down for some TLC. I spotted the Roscoe on their site before i went down there and thought i'd have a play on it...

WOW!!! It's tone is just absolutely phenominal...so awesome! It's got so much balls to it, and such a classic fretless growl, i was really diggin' it. It had a blank fretboard, but, for once, i actually got on ok without lines, my intonation was ok on it...and it just sang beautifully!!!

My only issue with it was the pick-up pan, at centre detent it was fine, but favour the bridge pick-up, even only a smidge and the volume boost and difference in tone was nuts!!! The tone was still kick ass, and i preferred it on the bridge pick-up, but what i'm saying is, you couldn't just smoothly turn it and hear a gradual change, it was like a kick in the nads, you noticed it!!! Whether there's a dodgy circuit, or something not right i don't know...but either way, i still thought it was a wicked bass.

I played the Overwater and Ibanez fretless basses, as well as the fretless P Bass in there too...for me, the Roscoe was the winner hands down, the Overwater was nice, with a generally plain sound, but it would suite pop gigs nicely... but the Roscoe was the king of tone!!! I was almost tempted at asking them if theyed take my marleaux off me and let me walk away with the Roscoe...but the Marleaux is more me!!!

So, in short...anyone after a fretless with £1450 to burn, you're money would be well spent here!!!

Looking forward to trying the F Bass BNF6 that they're getting in... :)

J

[quote name='bassjamm' post='25461' date='Jul 1 2007, 12:57 AM']Hi all,

Just a quick post.

I was down at the Gallery on Friday, i took my Marleaux down for some TLC. I spotted the Roscoe on their site before i went down there and thought i'd have a play on it...

WOW!!! It's tone is just absolutely phenominal...so awesome! It's got so much balls to it, and such a classic fretless growl, i was really diggin' it. It had a blank fretboard, but, for once, i actually got on ok without lines, my intonation was ok on it...and it just sang beautifully!!!

My only issue with it was the pick-up pan, at centre detent it was fine, but favour the bridge pick-up, even only a smidge and the volume boost and difference in tone was nuts!!! The tone was still kick ass, and i preferred it on the bridge pick-up, but what i'm saying is, you couldn't just smoothly turn it and hear a gradual change, it was like a kick in the nads, you noticed it!!! Whether there's a dodgy circuit, or something not right i don't know...but either way, i still thought it was a wicked bass.

I played the Overwater and Ibanez fretless basses, as well as the fretless P Bass in there too...for me, the Roscoe was the winner hands down, the Overwater was nice, with a generally plain sound, but it would suite pop gigs nicely... but the Roscoe was the king of tone!!! I was almost tempted at asking them if theyed take my marleaux off me and let me walk away with the Roscoe...but the Marleaux is more me!!!

So, in short...anyone after a fretless with £1450 to burn, you're money would be well spent here!!!

Looking forward to trying the F Bass BNF6 that they're getting in... :)

J[/quote]

The Roscoe/Bart pre and p'up combination is killer in a fretless, however I am little concerned at your comments on the panning/volume issue as that is something I have never experienced with any of the Roscoes that I have played/owned. The pickups are specially wound for Roscoe, the bridge pups being quite honky/jaco sounding and the neck pup fatter/precision sounding.

There should be little or no noticable change in volume only in tone, it may be the way it was set up?

Regards

Mark

All i noticed was the change in volume/tone (as in a huge change, not subtle as you'd expect from a slight turn).

Too be honest with you it doesn't really bother me, i was just letting you guys know...it certainly sounded killer though!!!

As for sleepless nights over it, that won't happen...i haven't got a holiday booked yet, and i'm more than happy with the Marleaux, it's a beautiful instrument!