Why become a member? ×

Modifying a Squier Fretless P-Bass

Byo

Hi all,

I have a Squier fretless P-Bass that I am thinking of modifying.

The bass itself is really good for the money. Mine is extremely lightweight and very resonant and loud (unplugged) and with a lot of volume on tap when plugged in (compared to my Fender Roadworn Jazz Bass).

I was thinking of changing 3 major things on the bass:

- Bridge
- Electronics
- Pickup

For the bridge I have thought about the "classic" Badass II and the Babicz.

For electronics, the East P-Retro is #1 on my list at the moment.

And for pickups, I have not thought nothing yet. The factory one is not anything special, no character to it but gets the job done.

All suggestions are welcome, specially if you have experience with the gear and some positive/negative feedback to give.

Cheers,

Byron.

Edited by Byo

In my opinion I would leave the bridge as the original 70's fretless P basses just had a standard bridge and sounded like God :)
I would also leave the electronics as ok, they may be cheaper pots etc than a USA or classic P but they will the same values so if it ain't broke...
Pickups - Fender Original. I've had few different types of P pups (including the holy Fralin), and the Fender is amazing for the money. Sounds like all my favourite records. Job done.
I'd spend my money experimenting with strings instead. Oh and a good set up by a great tech is always first on the list for me.
Good luck!

Agreed, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the bridge, I only upgraded the bridge on mine to one with grooves for the grub screws to limit sideways motion as I do tend to bash the crap out of the strings.The pickups are the only real area where cost cutting has an effect, and Fender Originals would get my vote.I put EMG Select passives on mine largely for the aesthetics...

Thanks guys for the input!!!

I have the American Standard P-Bass p'up in my Fender Reggie Hamilton sig Jazz and that pick up is my favourite P-Sound so far.
I will certainly check the othet Fender p'ups (so many new models now).

Cheers!

On mine, I left everything stock except the pickup (and the previously mentioned neck!). Installed a Seymour Duncan SPB-2. The electronics work fine - not broke, so I didn't fix it.
Hardware wise, bridge is fine, put different tuners on, but probably didn't need to.