Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rubber Shirt - Zappa

xilddx

Sorry, I'm in a DJ/sharing mood :) I have loved this fretless bass/kit piece for nearly thirty years. Now I want to learn how to play it. It will take me ages but I feel it will really teach me a helluva lot about fretless bass, one of which I am building at the moment. I've played fretless before in a very heavy alt/hardcore band, but that had a lined neck, the one I'm building has no markers at all.

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=lIG_EY5N3T0"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=lIG_EY5N3T0[/url] (not quite all of it but the only thing on You Tube. Some geezer dubbed it on to his mountain bike ride).

It's actually an overdub Zappa had O'Hearn play over a medium tempo 4/4 track. Zappa superimposed it on to a previously recorded performance of a slow song in 11/4. Zappa more or less specified the notes. As Zappa said, the interesting and subtle interplay between the bass and the kit never actually happened.

I think it's just beautiful.

alot of people think zappa is really rude (not many women seem to like him) Titties and beer is well cool though.I also like stuff like watermelon in easter hay.I try to play guitar like zappa the man used some weird modes like hungarian minors and things along those lines.I wish i could memorise more of the modes,and use them to my advantage,you get a bit sick of pentatonics sometimes.