Why become a member? ×

Jersey Boys

yorks5stringer

Went to see this last night as I'm in London at the moment. Great show but everytime I thought the guy playing bass on stage was actually live, it then became clear he was miming. Right at the end the actual playing musicians got 2 minutes to show some chops. Anyone know who the live Bassist is? Could not find a clue on the website.

Edited by yorks5stringer

West End musicians dep in and out of shows so much (they have easily the best contractual arrangements out of anyone in musical ttheatre) that they never release the names of the "official" band, as there's absolutely no guarantee they'll be the ones playing.

A great "muso" show to watch is The Commitments, where there's a tricky balance between the band starting out a bit crap, but still being pleasing enough to sit and watch/listen to, and to have them progress as they improve. They're backed up in the pit by pros, but the chaps on stage do play live (most of the time) (and with help). The MD is a friend of mine.

And the guy playing Declan, or whatever his name is, is just INCREDIBLE. He practically delivers up his innards each night on stage, he takes it that far. A nutter.

I know a chap that deps on this show, on guitar, as far as I'm aware the onstage stuff is all live. I know this because he was shedding the parts in our dressing room a couple of weeks ago and he told me about having to memorise the songs as they had no charts onstage.
I'm also quite sure that miming is not generally allowed where a show is advertised as having a live band. Tracks are used with vocals and bits on but the rhythm section will almost certainly all be live.

Edited by jakenewmanbass

I'm not entirely sure but I think the MU/TMA agreement only allows a 'musical' to be performed with a live band. Hence the debacle over War Horse at the national which saw the Union taking them to court over firing the band under very spurious claims.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27034895"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-27034895[/url]

Edited by jakenewmanbass

Oh yes, it has to have a "live" band, but that means the band in the pit, off stage (usually).

But the fact there's someone on stage strumming a guitar (or whatever) doesn't mean that's what you can hear. It's more than likely (as in very, very likely) that it's the guitarist in the pit doing the actual playing.

Kewl. So is he the actor on stage, playing live, or the muso in the pit, playing the other bits that need playing?

Your friend, that is.

And yes I wasn't very clear myself; I was referring above to non-muso shows where a character happens to play an instrument for a bit. But then, that can also be played live (by the actor, I mean) sometimes. So, er, it depends. Shows with characters who are musicians, well, it seems to be mainly live, backed up by the band in the pit, to give it oomph.

And even the singing is recorded sometimes. That high note in Phantom is on tape, for example, in case the actress can't hit it on the night.

Anything with lots of dancing and singing at the same time will generally be on a click with pre-recorded vocals (belting stuff out and making it intelligible, while busting a gut dancing about on stage like a loon, eight times a week, isn't practical).

Edited by Zenitram

I've just texted him to get the absolute word to find there is a mix of live and miming to the pit players going on onstage. B)
But there is definitely some live playing onstage too, and singing BVs and doing dance moves... sounds like a nightmare dep to me!!
My mate has just been offered the UK tour.
He and I have just finished a month long run of a show in Stratford East theatre royal, where funnily enough we had Ryan Molloy in the cast who played Frankie Valli in Jersey boys and is just about to join the show on Broadway.... what a great singer he is!

BTW Bass player is Greg Thomas

Edited by jakenewmanbass

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1402600007' post='2475257']
And another friend was in Fings!
[/quote]
Pray tell, who? Loveliest cast I've ever worked with we had an absolute blast.
I opened the show at the front of the stage with a walking bass line on DB, then onstage for the rest of the show, great fun, we are hoping it will have a future life, it had massive critical acclaim, a big buzz and completely sold out, not to mention the long list of celebs who came to see it, and I got an appearance on This Morning with Jessie Wallace and Mark Arden...

Edited by jakenewmanbass