Why become a member? ×

New Neck....

aende

Fender Modern Player Jazz v

Nice bass, nice neck......however, I want to make the neck a bit lighter as it does suffer from neck dive. Cue Hipshot ultralite tuners.....sadly, they do not fit the pegholes. Looks like instruments from Fender China are all metric. A warmoth replacement neck will not fit, the neck the provide would be too long.

So, I can either have a fair bit of mod to the old neck......or get a new neck built.

The question;

Anyone know any really good Luthiers in West London/Slough area?

Or

Who makes really good necks - known builder?

Well worth modding the neck if you're otherwise happy with it. If you must have a new neck, go to Martin Sims.
[url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/00necks.htm"]http://www.simscustom.com/html/00necks.htm[/url]

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1402407272' post='2473109']
We could make you neck or mod your existing one :). Check out the website if interested.
[/quote]

This interests me too - I have an old bass that sound amazing but the neck is just a bit too chunky.

How much wood can be safely taken off? How can you tell how deep the truss rod channel is so you don't sand through the back?

(Excuse my ignorance - I don't even trust myself to do pickup unstallations!)

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1402478259' post='2473865']
Aha! Could you put graphite rods in the old neck?

[/quote]

Yes, it could be done but I would probably advise against it, as fingerboard removal is something you don't really want to do unless you have to. It would take a substantial amount of work and a little bit of risk as sometimes the fingerboard can react badly to the heat and bending used to remove it and warp. Are you considering the graphite rods because you are having stability issues?

We could have a lot of fun if you went the new neck route, we could create a more exotic attractive neck than the original and with your choice of woods and inlay if required.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1402479440' post='2473884']
This interests me too - I have an old bass that sound amazing but the neck is just a bit too chunky.

How much wood can be safely taken off? How can you tell how deep the truss rod channel is so you don't sand through the back?

(Excuse my ignorance - I don't even trust myself to do pickup unstallations!)
[/quote]

It's a good question and the only real safe way of doing it is removing wood from the shoulders/profile of the neck rather than actually reducing the thickness in the middle to any large degree. This will still make the neck feel a lot slimmer as its often the profile of the neck which makes it feel chunky rather than the actual front to back thickness. The only really accurate way of knowing exactly where the truss rod is to have an X ray done, which I have seen done before.