Why become a member? ×

Mind=Instrument connection!?

bubinga5

Was watching Andrew Gouche on you tube and he seems to have total control of the instrument, it must be great to have total mind/instrument connection!! My question is, has anyone on BC got to this level of playing that they dont think about the physicalities? of playing, but can play what your mind and ears want you to play!? I can improvise over chord progressions, but this guy is something else.!!!

I tell my self that its about the music i write as a whole, not the single element..which i soo believe!!
My Holly grail is this connection , as im sure it is to all you guys/girls....practice practice practice hey!!!

Of course im sure these guys work around progressions they know??

Andrew..

its just a question of experience and technique being at such a level that you are no longer conscious of the player-instrument divide and just treat the instrument as if its part of you. It helps to play the same instrument for a while to get completely comfortable on it, and to relax while playing if you want to get nimble. Rest of the way is just putting the hours in with a band.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='243615' date='Jul 20 2008, 03:10 AM']its just a question of experience and technique being at such a level that you are no longer conscious of the player-instrument divide and just treat the instrument as if its part of you. It helps to play the same instrument for a while to get completely comfortable on it, and to relax while playing if you want to get nimble. Rest of the way is just putting the hours in with a band.[/quote] Yeah the band thing for sure! but other wise Kiwi do you think dedicated scale practice throughout the fret board is the way to go? By the way i think i may have said this before? are you a New Zealander. Im was born in Hawkes Bay. Hurra for the Kiwis!!! :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='243618' date='Jul 20 2008, 03:46 AM']Yeah the band thing for sure! but other wise Kiwi do you think dedicated scale practice throughout the fret board is the way to go? By the way i think i may have said this before? are you a New Zealander. Im was born in Hawkes Bay. Hurra for the Kiwis!!! :)[/quote]
I think there's no substitute for playing with a band that stretches and challenges you musically. Scales are maybe useful but they don't let you forget about the instrument and focus on the music.

Often on stage I'm tempted to try a few tricks out just to keep the song a little fresh. I'm focussing on the notes and the music, not on whether I'm playing correctly. Most of the time it works, sometimes it doesn't but thats how it goes. :huh:

I'm a mainlander, born in UK but grew up in Christchurch :huh:

The best feeling is where it goes beyond individual mind-instrument connection and becomes a group mind-instrument connection, when everything becomes subconscious and just comes out [i]right[/i].

I don't know what I just said there but I hope it's relevant to the discussion.

I think once you have your own voice on the instrument, it's as natural and unplanned as normal conversation, whether you speak in monosyllabic grunts or flowery, figurative language.