Why become a member? ×

Jazz help!

danthevan

Hi guys,

After a bit of advice (song examples etc) on 'loosely' learning jazz......... bit vague I know, but read on and you'll get what I mean!

Every year, my local has a charity gig and gets 6 or so bands to play. Generally all we get is your bog standard covers bands, which gets a bit tedious when most of the set lists are the same!
One of my wife's friends wants to do something this year, she's quite an accomplished Jazz singer but because of babies / kids hasn't done anything for a couple of years.
She's got a keyboard player who is apparently sh*t hot, but needs a bassist.

Guess who's been roped in to the role........!

As my background is mainly rock / punk, how do I get my head round some 'acceptable' jazz playing?!

She has said she will keep it simple by doing Ella Fitzgerald - summertime, and Fever (whoever did that one!) sort of stuff, which I think I can blag ok after listening on youtube, but is there any other advice, tips, songs you'd recommend to listen to?

My view of jazz currently is something like:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQYzpOHpik&feature=kp"]https://www.youtube....Hpik&feature=kp[/url]

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1402061037' post='2469662']...any other advice, tips, songs you'd recommend to listen to?...[/quote]

Good afternoon, Dan...

Can you acquire the set list that will be played, with the key of each song..? Get a chord chart for each of the songs, in that key (transpose if necessary...) and play the root note of each chord. If you can do that, in time, for each song, you'll have a basis to build on. Is there any rehearsal or practise time with the keyboard player..? If you two can work together before the day you'll (both...) be more confident.
Keep to the strict minimum and it should work out fine. Jazz..? It's not rocket science..!
Good luck with the venture anyway, it will surely teach you lots.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

Dan...

I'll insist, then, in being certain that she'll indeed be singing these standards [i]in that key[/i]. A vocalist will very often, sometimes without realising, raise or lower to suite their own preferred tonality, which will stuff you if you're not used to transposing 'on the fly'. Standards such as 'Summertime' have been sung in just about all the keys available by someone, I should think, so you can't rely on any one U-tube version unless she can confirm that that's the pitch she'll be using. The keys bloke will probably be used to this; it's important for you all to be all 'working from the same page'.

Just to frighten you...

[media]http://youtu.be/EYxoAJ3Boyc[/media]

Splendid stuff, and a 'classic' for drummers, too..! He's playing bare-handed...

Note the modulations (up a semi-tone...) half way through.

Edited by Dad3353

Speak to the pianist. He will be able to advise you re: keys etc.

Summertime and Fever are both relatively simple but played as Jazz standards they are not simple like Mustand Sally is simple. You don't just learn the part and play it by rote. Best advise I can give is to listen to Ella/Peggy Lee's versions of the songs and absorb them but don't 'learn' the versions you are listening to because when you play them for real, what you think you have learned will be pretty much useless.