Why become a member? ×

Can someone explain the theory below - RCHP - Soul To Squeeze

maldy

One of my favourite Chilli Peppers songs is, Soul To Squeeze. I love the bass part (spent months transcribing it when I first started playing) and I also love some of the subtle guitar parts. I was just reading about it on wikipedia the other day and it mentioned the below, about the composition:

http://en.wikipedia....Soul_to_Squeeze

"The song's intro is played in A major. The verse then shifts into F major following the progression F, C, Dm, B-flat major7, Dm, F, C, Gm. The solo has a melody similar to that of the vocals of the song. The chorus follows a similar progression of F, C, Dm, B-flat but with a bass-line melody that evokes an Am in the second half of the bar containing C. This allows the vocal melody over the words "know" and "mind" to contain a pentamorous supertonic note. This note over the dominant chord in the guitar is a rare combination, giving the chorus its distinctly mournful sound."

What is a pentamorous supertonic note?!?! Can anyone explain this to me - I'm very curious.

What I do know is that often when I try to sing this song, I often can't get the right pitch of the notes on the words "know" and "mind". They kind of sound a bit flat - bloomin pentamorous supertonic nodes!!!

After a bit of Googling, it seems 'pentamorous' is a mis-spelling of 'pentamerous', meaning divided into 5 parts.

The supertonic note is the next note up from the tonic. In the full major or minor, and the pentatonic major, this will be a whole step up from the key note, e.g. D in C major or C minor. In the pentatonic minor, the supertonic will be a minor 3rd up, e.g. C in Am.

You put your left leg in and your left leg out, you do the okey cokey and you turn about. I can imagine the RHCP guys agonising over whether to include the pentamerous supertonic in the chorus as they sit there having their tattoos waxed. :lol:

• 8 years later...

Those are some pretty advanced harmonic theory concepts. Basically you can plot out all notes in two dimensions which creates a map of harmony. This is called the Tonnetz or Harmonic Lattice. North on this lattice is ‘pentamerous”. A note on the piano can have different identities on this lattice and pentamerous notes can be more melancholy. That is the case in Soul to Squeeze. 

I’m surprised by the depth and quality of that wiki article, honestly. It’s exactly correct.