Why become a member? ×

Showreel videos on YouTube....

Jonesthebass

I'm well aware that in this technological age we need a media presence to Promote our bands.
I was never a fan of the studio demo of a band as it never gave a true reflection of said band. Who knows how long they tweaked and polished.
Now I'm seeing loads of bands in flashy pro backdrop media stages banging out their top tunes like its a gig to show the punters what they are hiring..... Great .... Until you notice that nearly all of them are miming to the.... You guessed..... Studio demo.
I've just been recommended to check some band out by a mate who rates them and has worked with members in the past. I'll take his recommendation but as I watch the recording.... There's no doubt the vocalist has a tidy set if pipes but the who thing is a sham....
Who else feels this is a con?!?
Don't even get me started on bands with brass and backing vox on tape......
And who decided that every function band has to wear a slim black tie and a waistcoat.....?!?!

we have a nice corporate function gig next month so hopefully there will be some good quality vid of us playing to the crowd and if we can manage to get a reasonable audio live recording that should just about do it and for me this is much more preferrable than a studio demo

not a big fan of demos for the sake of it especially when potential bookers ask for them - at local band level ive yet to see a live band that were frankly anything like their studio demo on their website :huh: and even if it is a good demo, it's stil not live - im a firm believer in getting bookings from people who have seen us live as then they know exactly what they are getting after all you could spend hours and take after take and even more hours of post production trying to achieve that elusive studio demo, and if you cant deliver it live you can bet the booker who hired you for their gig wont book you again or recommend you to others :(

Though useful, a strong web presence isn't absolutely essential in some cases. The band I'm currently in has virtually no web presence at all. The band leader was supposed ot be getting someone to do a web site but that was over a year ago and still no sign of a finished product yet. We aren't particularly short of work (for me anyway, never wanted to work every single weekend). People see us in pubs and ask us to do their wedding, people see us at a friends wedding and ask us to do their wedding or a 40th or 50th birthday etc, its mostly direcft selling from doing the gigs themselves. And we're not [i]that[/i] good even.