Why become a member? ×

suitable neo drivers for sealed cabs.

Subthumper

As the title suggests I'm on a mission to find a neo driver suitable for sealed cab. Don't want to get too into the sealed vs ported debate but it's for using with a valve head. Ideally it's fora 2x15 plus some sort of midrange/ tweeter. I've been using my old diy ported cabs pretty successfully but notice the amp starts to unhinge a bit at high volume a nd low tuning and I'm sure it's the speaker unloading at below cab/port tuning frequency which is upsetting the valve amp. The idea is also.to make the cab lightweight too as I've been hauling my heavy old cabs for too long. Any thoughts folks? Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers Just

Hi Subthumper,

It looks like you've got some options here.

1. Maybe the existing cab is wrongly specified for the drivers, so that at high levels it's farting out. The existing set-up could be checked to see if it's basic design is OK. Put up some info on your rig with the rough internal dimensions of the cab, plus the number and size of the ports and any info you have on the bass drivers.

2. A new build 2 x 15 with two Neo drivers will cost about £300 - £380 for the bass drivers alone.

Balcro.

The other issue is how much power you're driving them with? Limited power with typical low frequency roll off of a valve head means woofer excursion and thermal rating is often less of a concern than solid state - especially with such a large cone area. Gives you more options