Why become a member? ×

Fishbone in the UK this week

Mr H

I just found out (I'm slow and uninformed) that Fishbone are touring and are in the UK from Wednesday at Manchester Academy, followed by Newcastle, London, Glasgow, Derby and Bristol. I will endeavour to make the Manchester show as it has been too long since I last saw them.

Always legendary, fun shows. :) Norwood is, and always has been, an amazing player, touting a great range of Warwicks, serious chops and groove, one huge dreadlock and a towel. I first saw them in 1993 supporting RHCP (with the Rollins Band also on the bill) at Brixton. It was the classic lineup with Kendall Jones, etc at the height of their power, and was utterly blown away - they blew RHCP off stage that night. :D I saw them a couple of years back at the Islington Academy too - much smaller show, obviously, and with an almost completely new lineup including Rocky George (ex-Suicidal Tendencies), but still awesome.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1400479820' post='2454135']
They are still great fun but nothing like that original line up. That was the best band I've ever seen.
[/quote]

Absolutely! I saw them at the Newcastle Riverside in 1991 on (what I think was) the Give a Monkey a Brain... tour. Simply brilliant.

I've kind of lost touch with them since.... :(

Give A Monkey A Brain.... didn't come out until 1993, so it was probably supporting The Reality Of My Surroundings (great record). They did disappear for a while after GAMAB came out when they had various lineup issues (including Kendall Jones joining the Moonies and having to be basically kidnapped to get him out). They got dropped by Sony and have survived on indie labels ever since.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1400494832' post='2454285']
Give A Monkey A Brain.... didn't come out until 1993, so it was probably supporting The Reality Of My Surroundings [/quote]

Yep. My bad. I often get those two muddled up... :blush:

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1400453147' post='2454080']Norwood is, and always has been, an amazing player, touting a great range of Warwicks, serious chops and groove, one huge dreadlock and a towel.
[/quote]

A few years ago Fishbone played at a small venue in Ashton-under-Lyne, on a boiling evening during which they weren't allowed to open the side doors because of the volume. Norwood was wearing what appeared to be a richly-embroidered rug with a hole cut in the middle for his head, perhaps some kind of priestly garb. Anyway, he wasn't wearing anything else aside from his bass and strap, and from the regular side views I got I can add that he also touts quite a spectacular cock.

:huh:

[quote name='Mr H' timestamp='1400513946' post='2454520']
A few years ago Fishbone played at a small venue in Ashton-under-Lyne, on a boiling evening during which they weren't allowed to open the side doors because of the volume. Norwood was wearing what appeared to be a richly-embroidered rug with a hole cut in the middle for his head, perhaps some kind of priestly garb. Anyway, he wasn't wearing anything else aside from his bass and strap, and from the regular side views I got I can add that he also touts quite a spectacular cock.

:huh:
[/quote]

Who knows... he might want to try out a new form of slapping. :D

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XmMI9OhqcY[/media]

Lordy. They've still got it. Quality show at Manchester; band looked great in their black gear, shoulder to shoulder on that too-small stage, and - apart from Angelo who seemed to get distracted by messages from halfway through - seemed really into it and got the crowd involved. They played some favourites and ended with a hot streak of Alcoholic, Bonin' In The Boneyard and Sunless Saturday, but finished four minutes from the curfew so there was no encore.

Norwood played a blinder: there's a new tune called Kung Fu Grip and I've never seen fingers move so fast, but here they are frozen in time...

[url="https://flic.kr/p/nEnXCS"][/url]